1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A little help with salt...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cheeseheadbob, Nov 18, 2011.

1. cheeseheadbob

cheeseheadbob Junior Member

Hey guys, only my second noob question in three weeks!:D I am not in the snow removal business, I just have a truck, a plow and a spreader on the back. I am planning on plowing my driveway, maybe a neighbor or two and the lot where I work. I will not be using tons of salt, but I need to know what the best way to purchase a skid of salt would be. The lot I am going to plow is approximately 1.625 acres and according to my searches here, that would require about 18 - 50 lb. bags using the 15 lbs/1000 square foot ratio.

Internet searches don't give me much. I can warehouse a skid or two and have a couple of LTL carriers I use for my business. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. -Bob
  2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the forums ..... I just got off the phone with you .... Hope the info I gave you helps. Best Regards / Rick
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Typically you can find skids of salt at a lawn and garden store. I'm sure you would be able to buy a few skids at a time. Usually they come 49-50lb bags to a skid, I would stay away from the 80 lb bags......bad for the back,lol
  4. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

let me save you money and time....

just use bulk. My math says you will need just under one ton of salt per event. If you have the room to store a train load in the shop go that route to save the most. If you dont have the room then just go buy it from the landscape supply store. Have them dump it right in the back of your truck and then get a nice scoop shovel to load it into the hopper. If its wet you may have to hop out and shake the hopper every now and then. If its dry it will flow with out a problem. You will save way more money this way then going with bag.

just my opinion