1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A little help with picking out an ATV

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by PerfiCut L&L, Jan 14, 2007.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

I've been looking to pick up an ATV lately, and with no experience using one I'm looking for some input here.

I stopped by the local dealer and checked out the various makes/models. I think Ive narrowed it down to the Kawasaki Brute Force 750. Some key things I noticed that were different than the others, which I think might be useful, are two storage pockets one on each side. The diff lock is a spring loaded toggle lever on the left handle side. explained to me that if you use it to get out of a stuck spot, you dont have to stop the unit, and flip the diff lock off, in order to drive out and negotiate any turns. Simply squeeze it to engage, and left go to disengage, all on the fly. I also, like the seat layout, seems to allo for a more upright seated position, atleast for me anyway. It has a cig lighter for eccessories (sp?). Cost vs size was factor as well.

$6300.00 on the road, and kawasaki has a promo 60 bucks for warn winch.. (thanks to a friends referral).

Whats your thoughts/experience with regards to performance on and off the snow.
    Also, I'm looking at the blackline power angle plow with down force pressure.

2. PerfiCut L&L

oh yea.... Salt spreader... any recommendations?

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If you go to the second page of this forum, there is one entitled my kawasaki atv pics, go to the third page and Lawnscape89 has a sweet set up with a Brute force atv with plow and spreader

4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Buy the biggest ATV that you can afford, you can never have enough horsepower!

5. PerfiCut L&L

My initial thought was a 400 would be good enough, but after I saw it in person, it seemed a little smaller than I though it would be. So I upped my search for a 600, and one thing led to another, so now im at the 750. I figure this should be plenty big enough.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are you gonna use it for driveway's or just sidewalk's?

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I plow to large driveways with a 350 yamaha, id say its more about weight and torque and not so topend hp, unless its going to be used for playing the rest of the year, then power is everything, lol But iv grown up around atvs and know quite a bit about them and the brute force seems like a sweet atv to plow with.

8. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I think you'll be much happier on a Honda. ;)

9. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I bought my Polaris's because they were made here in the USA.
    There a little heavy but have plenty of power, and very dependable after you hit them with die electric grease.
    Niether of them have left me stranded, but they have both broken there fair share of my bones.
    They can also jump it you replace there Bilstein shocks for FOX Nitrogen charged shoc's

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

the only problem with hondas is that unless its an automatic u have to do like 4 steps to get it into reverse, or at least thats the way they used to be

11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

But with 6 grand to spend, you'll have yourself in a nice Foreman 4x4 with ES (Electronic Shifting). Honestly, as nice as it is to have a new unit, I'd save a few pennies and buy a few years old. Finding a good, well maintained Honda that is a few years old is really no different than buying a new one.

12. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We always buy Polaris. They have been good to us and even our smallest machine (400) will push a 48" plow with no problems.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

our yamaha does pretty good with the 4ft plow, but we need nice tires now, ours are the originals with about 7500-8000 offroad miles on them

14. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Personally, The Suzuki King Quad 700 has more low end Grunt then the Brute Force 750.

The Brute is a fun quad however, 78 mph top speed.

I personally would go king quad, seeing as how it is cheaper also.

15. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Honda Rubicon (500cc, hydrostatic automatic, plus ES shifting)
    small enough to get around, big enough to do grunt work.
    4x4 and disconnect to 2x4
    lots of storage pockets and will tow a ton of crap.

And let's face it, Honda's are almost certainly the most reliable, Everyone argues which one or that one has issues, but Honda's never come up.

That's what I bought. A nice blue one (the wife likes blue)

16. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

The main reason honda's are so reliable is because they are underpowered. You could take my Suzuki Eiger 400, and pit it against your 500.
    Multiple magazines have said it over and over. Underpowered.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Perficut, dont let anyone talk you out of buying the 750 Brute force.If you willing to spend the money, it's worth every cent! I've had an 05' and am currently running an 06' with a 60" Moose plow and wouldn't trade it for anything.Their a real work horse and they'll push a 60" blade like their's nothing there! In fact I'm thinking about making a set of extension's for mine for doing driveway's. The power in low range (or high for that matter) will far exceed the traction limit's of the stock tire's so you may find yourself wanting to upgrade to a better tire. The diff lock is a nice asset too.So is the adjustable preload on the coil overs,make's it easy to stiffen up the front end and will hold a plow with weight to spare. I've plowed with 400,450,500 Formen's and ridden just about everything else and I like my Brute the best.My second choice would be a 700 King quad like stuffdeer mentioned. Don't get me wrong the Honda's and Suzuki's are great ATV's and I was a Honda man for year's.You mentioned that you could get it for $6300 out the door,was that for an 06' or an '07? Get an 07' of you can as Kawi made a few design changes to the front suspension on the 07's to make them steer easier and with a plow on it make's a noticeable difference.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  18. americansnow

americansnow Junior Member

Perficut

I have a 06 brute force 650i with a 50 inch moose plow and it rocks. The 650i is cheaper than the 750 and also has more low end torque than the 750. The 650i is automatic easy to ride and I have pushed 9 inch plus without a problem. the only weakness is the wheels and tires which are easily replaced. Kawasaki makes great ATVS you get alot fo bang for your buck

19. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

Honda is the way to go!!! I have a 400 rancher automatic with a 60 inch blade and Ive pushed 13 inches with out any problem at all!!!

20. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Underpowered compared to what??????
    It does what I need it to do and is reliable as all get out and simple and easy to use.

emergency business here, do you want to be down at 3am for the sake of 10hp???
    Reliability and long lasting is the key for me.

Oh, and magazines aren't the be all end all. (unless they at least pretend not to take advertising into account in their ratings)