1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A little help, please

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Pelican, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm looking for an inexpensive 1 ton dump to work out of for 6 to 8 weeks while a new truck is on order. I've come across a 1992 Chevy 3500 I'm interested in, and am hoping you Chevy guys can help.:eek:

It's 2 wheel drive with a 454, 5 speed, 180,000 miles and appears mechanically sound. The front end seems tight and there's no slap in the drive train. It's owned by a large construction company with a reputation of good maintainence on their vehicles.

Both front fenders are rotted and the cab protector has had something dropped in the center and is buckled. The dump body has two holes burned in for sander clamps and the inside of the body is scaly rust, but no rust through. That's the extent of body damage.

The interior is very dirty and has assorted holes in the dash from mounted accessories, but there's no holes in the floor from rust.

The frame has scaly rust and one small section of the hoist frame is rusted through. There's no tow hitch or hitch plate.

The owner wants me to make him an offer, I obviously don't want to spend any more than I have to, but don't want to offend the guy either. Ideally, I'd like to sell the truck for what I pay when I'm done in 2 months. I'd consider new fenders, repairing the cab protector and a quick squirt of paint, but don't want to invest a lot.

Slightly older trucks in much better condition sell for about $8000 here, I'm not sure what to offer. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Fair bit of hard miles,.................. 4500

3. Pa_Ron

Pa_Ron Junior Member
    from Pa

$4000.00 sounds about fair to me. If you were going to put it in nice shape. What you would invest would bring you up to the $8000.00 range. Good Luck

4. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Instead of looking for a beater to use for a few months and sell, why not look for a late 70's to late 80's style chevy like 75's. I was searching in bargainnews.com yesterday for dumps, and they're a dime a dozen. There was 77 dump, 350, 4wd, 4 spd, plow selling for $2k. I don't know why GVW you need, but buying one of thse trucks, the engines/trannies/axles are common and easily attained. I was tempted to call about one of the dumps for $2k, but i already have a pickup.

Before you buy a 2wd truck with high miles, look at something you could use even after you get the new truck, maybe even as just a lot truck.

Sorry to ramble,

Bryan

5. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mud man, Thanks for the tip. The last time I had used KBB, they didn't have the commercial section. This truck came up at $4700, so everyone's in the ballpark, thanks. I'll offer $4000 and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

I can use KBB to price my truck for sale, too. It's a big help.

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My bid was accepted. Thanks for the help, guys!!!