1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A Little Help Please

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by flattoplawncare, Mar 13, 2010.

1. flattoplawncare

flattoplawncare Junior Member
    from mn

Hey guys I have to put a bid in on these townhomes for snowplowing next year and they are gonna need this with my lawn bid. It is 62,000 square feet of plowing and walkways need to be done also. I also need to figure in salting I estimate it to be about 40 50# bags if each gets roughly 1500 square feet.

I have never needed help bidding until now so any help would be great.
    here is an outlined image of the plowable area.
    [​IMG]

todd-home.jpg

2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

first of all, what are you going in there with? What type of equipment and men? I would try to have this, Either a pick up with V box or a 1 ton dump with salter and 8ft plow, small skid loader with snow bucket for the drives, and a 3-4 man shoveling crew. If you cant supply a skid loader id look at a 5-6 man shoveling crew, two to do the drives.

Break down, Each set of buildings looks like it would take 1 guy about 20 minutes for walks only. I figure about 1 hour for a three man crew at 30$/man hour thats 90$. Add in ice melt, I would guess 5-6 bags so thats another $125-150. Id probably bid about $230.00 for the walks.

Drives, if you can get a small skid loader in there to do the drives that will be best. Because then your not worrying about working with the plow truck and you can just pile the snow on the grass. If that it possible, Id figure you can be in and out of all the drives in 1.5 hours if you have a good operator. Id figure about $130-150 for the plowing of it then id use ice melt not rock salt and figure about another 4-5 bags for that so another $100-125 for that, So id probably do the drives for around $240-250. Any thing the skid cant fit into have the shoveling crew just go and hit really quick.

Plowing you could do in about 45 minutes. 2 passes each way to clear the snow back. IF you get in there before the skid that will work good so then the loader can clean up the ends and pile any of the road piles back as he goes along. So figure for the roads about 65$ or so for plowing. Salting I cant tell you until I know how many miles of road there is. For every 1 lane mile I would put down about 350-500lbs depending on conditions. From the looks of it and im not 100% sure just a rough guess you would probably use about 500lbs of salt when on the light side so id charge about $80-100 depending on product (rock salt or salt and geomelt) That comes to 145-165 for the roads.

This is all for a 1-3 inch storm. Id figure about a $630 job or so. Under 1 inch I would do salt only so id probably shoot for like $340 or so. Over three inches is all added plow time and then the cost of salt ($340) I only salt at the end of the storm. Hope this helps. Let us know what type of equipment and man power you have and I can help you more

3. flattoplawncare

flattoplawncare Junior Member
    from mn

Thanks

Hello and thank you for your help,
    I have a 1-ton dump with an 8ft plow and I will have a skid by next winter. Right now I have 3 shovelers to help out.

4. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

then perfect, with my figures you can be right on track. If you can have a truck and trailer to pull the skid around that would be perfect, so then it can go where its needed. Just have the dump go through there as early as possible so then that can keep plowing. Id try to get it in there before the skid or if thats not possible send the sidewalk crew back in there for some quick clean up of all the drives