1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A little Help on first really big commercial

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by stanger86, Sep 22, 2011.

1. stanger86

stanger86 Member

I have done a lot of commercial lots, just not this big. I have a couple questions. The previous company use to drive his trucks on the sidewalks and plow the snow off of them, they are no less than 8' wide everywhere. The problem is his blade left rust marks all over and they owners hate it! what would you suggest I use, I was thinking possibly a powered broom on the front of a skidsteer? Second, what would be a ballpark cost and time figure to clear this lot. It needs to be cleared by 5:00 am. I was thinking of using about 4 1-ton trucks with 9-10' blades, a skidsteer, and a frontend loader (will have to rent or lease). Also, all snow will have to be stacked on the grass on the north end of the lot. He also wants a per push price, but a couple buddies in the field tried talking me into a per hour basis, which do you think is better on this lot?
    Lot size - 410,000 sqft
    sidewalks - 28,000 sqft

0-2" ~ 4550.00
    2-4" ~5500.00
    4-6" ~ 6550.00
    Stacking snow price?
    Sidewalk price ?
    I figure about 6-8 ton of salt per event @140 per ton ~ 840.00-1120.00 for salt

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'll be the one to say it. That is a big lot for you, if you are asking people on the internet what your price should be for it.

Figure your efficiency rates for your equipment, difficulty of your lot, how will that effect the efficiency rate of the equipment, and then of course using your overhead and numbers, calculate your hourly rates, and do the math. Don't forget to add in the time, and money it will take to manage a contract that size. You will need many site visits throughout the season, a lot of time in the office tracking data on the site, and putting out the cash for all the labor, fuel, and materials that you will use on the lot in between the 30-60 day billing cycles, or whatever this client might be.
  3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Never put all your eggs in one basket
    Can u still Handel your other work
    Put a poly edge on one truck to do side walks
  4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I don't know what kind of market you have in Nebraska......

Around here your numbers would not work ~ you would be WAY high and never get the chance to do the work.

You don't really need as much equipment as you listed either, but would be nice to have all that on an over 6" accumulation. You've also overestimated your bulk salt usage....the going rate per ton is very regional so I don't know where you land there.

I'm concerned that you don't know how to price the sidewalks. Do you have any idea how much product you will need for those and how long they will take you? I don't know what snow stacking is....you stack snow every time you plow. Do you mean snow pile removal/relocation?

God bless you if you get what you're proposing. :drinkup:
  5. nh785

nh785 Member

9.4 acres? 6 pieces of equip? $4500 for under 2"? 1500# of salt per acre? good luck do a little more research and try again
  6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Everything is WAY WAY off, except your $ amt for the salt might be in the ballpark.....not the quantity but the charge.
  7. stanger86

stanger86 Member

Yeah I had my figures out of whack! We are going for 3850.00 including sidewalks. the reason why it is so high is because after every snowfall or icing they want us to come back and clean up all of the sidewalks. Salt wise Im figuring 2 ton of ice slicer or 4 ton of rock salt. I just found out the last guy came in around 2800 plus walkways and did not include any cleanup, I think I should be pretty close with my numbers, or do ya think im still a little high?
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

How many events do you average? I'm asking because of the fact you're going to bid this on a per push basis. If you need to lease a loader you need to make sure you're going to get enough use out of it to make your payments. Are you going to be okay if you have a light year and you only go out a few times? That's something you need to make sure you're thinking about.

As far as your numbers are concerned, our hospital is 9 acres and the guy who does it gets just over $2k per event and it includes salting and hauling. Our markets are very different though.
  9. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Not sure where your located, but seems really high. And WAY WAY to much equipment.
  10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

That amount of equipment is perfect, if every storm starts at 3:00 AM and stops at 4 AM. You could then get it done in an hour with all that equipment.
  11. stanger86

stanger86 Member

We average about 8 snow falls a season and about 10-12 icings a season.
  12. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

What's the loader cost to rent for the season? Maybe sell couple 1 tons and buy the loader.
  13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Getting good answers

You are getting good input here. If you want to feel more comfortable on putting your bids together for time and material, check this out. You will find it helpful.

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:

#1 Snow & Ice Management Manual � this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who�s first, proposal formats, don�t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD � calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.