1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a little help for guy thats new to western plows/

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ACA L&L, Jan 7, 2011.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bar/2146792806.html

ok so in this add is a western plow, the guy knows nothing about it, he lives an hour away so im heading there sunday, i want to know how i would go about finding the mounts and harness i would need for my 2010 ford, 150 4x4 with the work package, cant think of what the dealer called it but it used to be called a "heavy half",

heres what i think i know:
    western 7'6'
    unimount?
    midweight, or smaller?

any help would be awesome so i know whats what when i go and if its worht geting into this project.............thanks in advance.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Looks like an 8' plow to me judging from the width between the ribs, and it's a pro plow for sure. It is quite heavy for the newer F150's. They also don't make a bracket or harness for your truck, so you'll have to get a conversion kit and new plow wiring to try and make it work. Depending what lights you have on the truck it may not even be possible without fabbing a harness to work. Anything is possible though.

My main concern would be that with a heavier plow that wouldn't be recommended anyway, having to run a conversion kit will only bring it that much lower to the ground, let alone the weight. I overdo everything, but if it were me, I'd find a plow more suited for your truck. You'll have roughly $3k in this plow by the time you're done if I were to guess.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It will cost you more in truck side hardware and updating the old Unimount to match than the asking price of the plow. So be sure to factor that into your budget.

4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Thanks, for info, i didnt think it was gonna be that easy, i can buy a new midweight for under 4 installed. Not looking to drop 3 grand on an old plow and pump when i can get a new one for a few more bucks.

Hey B&B thanks for info, you helped me make the choice on my very first plow back when we started out. since then we picked up quite a few plows all new, the used factor is a little nerve racking......to say the least.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure I remember, and good for you for continuing to ask before you buy when looking at the used stuff. :salute: