1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A little bit over zealous?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Sno4U, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Alright, I keep hearing that "this State" or "that County" or "this contractor" is ordering soooo much salt OVER what they used last year and now no one in the private sector will have salt available to them:cry:, or, if they can get it, it will be very expensive. Now I ask, last year we had a RECORD year for snow fall, what are the chances of having 2 in a row????:eek:
    Everybody is over ordering. Even when salt was in short supply last year other things where being used by muni's (ie: sand) that worked well enough. My thoughts: just go back to what we all used in previous years-last year was a fluke!

Opinions, anyone?
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im not ordering additonal then i normally would use, o an average year, the problem is i need to be sure that i get at-least that QTY of material, with the state of IL asking for 600,000 additional tons, and every othe place, i need to buy it before its gone.....this could all wind down , and January it might get cheaper and easy , then again maybe not.... but do you want to tell you customers that you are all out of salt? i dont.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Unfortunately it's better to over buy then under.If it's a lite winter and salt use is down the price for 09-10 should remain stable and there with be plenty of extra salt .The problem with salt and grit is it gets into the storm sewers and clogs them up that's why they don't like using it.