1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A kick in Jibblets

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by jbis1782, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

I just got word from the big boss that we did not get the award for snowplowing the local schools in my town. The biggest problem I have is that there was to parts to this bid. One part was a number for plowing and salting the schools and the second part is for salting only, and it was per push and per salt.Not seasonal. We won the plowing and salting part of the bid we won by $12.00 an event. The salting I lost by $30.00.What bugs me is that they awarded the contract to the other guy bcause there was a bigger difference in price for the salting only. But there were more plowing events in past two years than salting only. They said that they are taking a gamble this season, but are hoping to save a couple hundred dollars. The other guy does not live in this town or contribute to the schools at all. WE on the other hand have donated over 10,000.00 to the schools over the past 5 years, no to mention my kid goes to this school district, the bosses 5 kids go to this school also. The business, me, the boss, and half our employees pay taxes to this school also. Please tell me i have a reason to be livid with the schools. And by the way we have done the schools in the past and have had excellent reviews from the board. I am thinkg about threating to put my kid in private school just to prove a point. Sorry it is long, just had to vent
  2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Thats just BS. Trying to save a few hundred by spending thousands.

Sorry man.

3. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

Go to the next school board meeting and make your argument to them.
  4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

school boards are a lot like politicians, make mention of these points to the right people and they well be up in arms over it, pretty soon, they well see the error of their ways. unfortunately though, someone thought this was a good idea, trying to look good by trying to save a couple of dollars
  5. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

It's obvious that you're ticked off, but don't make your kid be a pawn in this. There's no good that will come from you pulling them away from all their friends, just to prove a point to the school board. Chances are, the school board wont care, but your kid will be the only one that loses.

Yes; it does seem like a kick in the stones, but you'll have that now and again. The fact that your company has donated to the school system is totally irrelavent. Donations are not supposed to be a bribe. Donations are like a gift; no expectation of something in return. Also, having children in the school system should have no bearing on the school board's business decisions. Chances are, the town accountant has been told to save every penny possible due to the crap economy. Town budgets are in a pretty bad situation in most areas of the country. They may not have had much choice.

These are solely my opinions. If you don't agree with them, fine. Everybody has a right to see things their own way. Should you be upset? Absolutely. You are human, and it's only natural to do so. Whatever happens, don't make your kid a player in the game. That's not fair.
  6. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I am with you... that is a seperate kick for each jibblet.

A thread from last year talked about a dumb formula that basically took the net of the two prices, without taking into account the frequency of each service and the projected seasonal total. With this method, the other guy won, when really you were the least expensive for the district.

You might take an opportunity to politely address the board. mentioning that your donations are out of goodwill only, but as a tax payer in the district, and community member with children attending these schools, you would like to help them understand why the decision was not the right one for the school financially.
  7. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

GPS, you are right. I slept on in and it would be unfair to my kid, but i am going to the board meeting and am going to politely going to show them my math. I will just show them the amount of plowing events compared to salting events and money that will be saved. Now mother nature IS unpredictable, but u can go off past winters. Still cant stand up straight after that kick though.
  8. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Sometimes sleeping on it is the best move you can make. Tempers can easily make any of us lose our cool and make rash decisions that possibly have unseen consequences.

I never said not to be upset. It seems that there is alot of that going around this year. This economic siyuation has everybody seeing things differently that they used to. If you want to try to get this back, you are right. Go to the board meeting with clear cut documentation showing money. That's what they seem to have originally seen. Numbers on a piece of paper. The other guy's numbers were lower on salt. Not necessarily the season total, but the number per event. If you can calmly present your case, and show them that you have a solid interest in keeping the property the best it can be, you may get it back. They will likely understand your point when they see it on paper with estimated totals based on previous years.
    The days of selling on service level alone seem to be gone now that everybody with a pickup has put a plow on it with $$ in their eyes. Loyalty also appears to be out the window, too. Now, its looking like the deal is the best service with the lowest numbers.