1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A Good Trade?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 86burban, Jan 31, 2004.

1. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I have a buddy at a shop that I go to. He is a real good mechanic. He figures out what is wrong with my cars when I cant. He has a 91 GMC Suburban 4x4 with a 7.5 Western on it. It is a decent truck with about 130k on it. Its in good shape. It does have the typical GM peeling paint. The rockers and lower quarters are getting a little soft but are not gone yet. The floors are solid. The truck is fairly loaded with most options. The plow is in good shape and works very well.

He wants to trade me for my F250. Its a 90 5.8 (46k mi) with a rust free body and an almost new Meyer on it. He says he needs a pickup because he wants to get a salter because his customers want salting done for them. I dont need the truck and Im more of a Chevy guy anyhow.

Is it worth it?

Tony

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Sounds OK to me... Talk him into a little warranty on it since he is your mechanic....Chuck

3. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Im sure he will. He's a good guy.

Tony

4. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Tony,
    Check out the rear floor and tailgate area. I had an 89 Blazer. It took a few trannies and then it also needed to have rear end work. Drove it to 170K. Problem was, the rear floor got so bad, that the tailgate nearly fell off in my hands in the spring. Front floors went as well. You may want to check those areas since you said the 1/4s are starting to go. The truck starts getting useless if you can't into the back.
    I think your truck sounds like the better deal.

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a good trade but keep in mind that you won't be able to haul things with a burban like you can with a truck.:waving:

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

I personally would keep the truck, unless you are needing passenger room in the offseason. Visibility is tougher in a Suburban, it has more miles (even though it is a Chevy) and body panels are tougher to replace on it than a pickup.

7. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

You didn't say if the Suburban is a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. If its a half ton, I would say definitely NO.

8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

No,definately no. Keep the pick up

9. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

???

Keep the Ford, Better off.........or sell the ford out-right and go buy what you want, If the ford is rust free & runs good & a plow you should get 3 times what the Chevy is worth... Good luck !!!

10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Its alot easier to push snow with that pickup than a suburan,and I am a chev guy . I used to plow with a full size Blazer what a pain in ,hard to see.
    I say stick with the Ford.

Mike

11. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I also just bought a Blazer too. It handles better than my truck and my truck is a PITA to plow with(Its a stick). I took the top off the back of the blazer and I got a vinyl top that makes it look like a custom pickup. I have plowed with suburbans before and I just plow with the rear window down, works just as good as a pickup.

The rear floor and door is solid. It belonged to his father since new. He got it three years ago and began to do a little plowing. It doesnt really matter to me on maneuverability, I want something that has a longer wheelbase. The rear is too light on that pickup and I dont know what to use as ballast. The ford is getting tired (valve seals gone, has some blow-by). It was an ex-county truck in Michigan and has 146 k on it.

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  12. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Tony the sub is alot heavies than that PU. Do you salt would be hard to do with a suburan but you could put a hitch mounted salter if you wanted to.

13. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I'd keep the 250.....A pickup truck is much more handy to have around to haul salt, equip. etc. Not to mention is sounds to me like the 250 is in much better condition.

14. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Well, the cab is rust free. The tailgate has rotted out at the bottom and the bedsides have the typical rot at the top of the wheel wells. I think the cab corners have begun to rust but thats not bad at all yet.

I dont need to haul anything. Its too high to put anything in the bed of. I believe that it has a 2" lift on it anyhow. I have a 2wd 1500 at work that I use to haul stuff with. I dont salt either. My buddy and I work together. He has a salter and plow on his ATV and he has all the stuff he needs to salt on the trailer. Thats why Im thinking Id go with the Suburban. I just dont know what to do.

Tony

15. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Well in that case go with the burban', might be kinda cool to have around.

16. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I plow with a 87 suburban 1500. I know many are saying "that probably doesn't work". Well, with time and enginuity, I have created a monster! It has a 4" lift, with 33's. It has what would be equal to a 1 ton suspension. The truck doesn't even go down 1/2" when the plow is up (7.6 meyers). The trans has been rebuild to much higher specs, and the brakes and diffs have been redone also. Next is the engine. It has a 350, which I am planning on rebuilding this year. I have sprayed the underside with a oil, trans fliud, kero mixure to prevent / inhibit rust, which there is little off. I will post pics one day. I looks really sweet. Don't let anyone talk you out of suburbans! If done right, they are wicked plow trucks. Stock probably won't do, but there lies great potential in them.

17. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I talked to him earlier. He told me about some performance mods he had done. I guess he put a throttle body spacer, a K&N filter, emissions legal headers, and a flowmaster muffler. He says it plows really well. He is a mechanic and he has maintained it very well. I think the last thing he did to it was rebuild the tranny with a trans go kit, and the rear end because the pinion seal went bad. Mine has some stuff done to it. It has a lift, It has some nicer rims on it from a newer truck, put in a really strong clutch, I port matched the heads, and I put a mild cam and headers on it. It had duals on it already and a K&N in it.

The body isnt really that bad. The rear quarters are bubbling at the very bottom. The drivers rocker panel has a hole about the size of a fist, but thats it. The underside was undercoated with some oil product a few times. I can get a new rocker panel from JC Whitless and the rear quarters can be glassed, but its a runner. I guess its not too bad on gas but niether is mine. Im still undecided.

Tony

18. DuallyVette

DuallyVette Member

If I had my choice of two well worn vehicles that will need repairs...I would have to go with less rust. I would rather rebuild an engine than chaseing metal cancer.

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Being a FORD person I would say keep your truck. A clean pickup in reserve is better then a beater Chevy. If it's that big an issue your Fords worth more because of the low miles,newer plow and good condition. I would love to find a truck like yours around here for sale. If a salt spreader such an issue, install a hitch and put a hitch mount spreader on it. ( the Chevy )

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  20. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

no way keep the pickup truck or get a used excursion its a 3/4 ton