1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A good plow truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JeffB, Oct 12, 2007.

1. JeffB

JeffB Junior Member

I am new to plowing and looking for my first truck. I have found a 97 F250XLT 4x4 super cab 7.3L PSD with 101,000 miles on it. The asking price is $10,000. It has not been used for plowing, and overall it is in good shape for the year. Will this model year/engine make for a good plow truck? Any particular problems I should look for? It will not fit in my garage, so will the engine block heater be enough for cold weather start up? It would end up being my daily driver/toy hauler as well so if the mpg is better than a gas engine that would be a plus.

Thanks for your help!

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

.... golden
  3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Only problems with the F-250 is the indepent front end. Timberns are a must and you can't go with a overly heavy plow as they like to snap the front end at the center pivot point. Read up about these problem on here. The best solultion is to do a solid axel conversion.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

CKECK OIL Pans

Check the oil pan on the truck for leaks, ford seems to hav an issue with the 7.3 oil pans rotting out , i already replaced 2 in both of my fords .
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The company I worked for had a 7.3 that got a new oil pan this summer also.