1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A good plow for the money???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FeelLikeANumber, Mar 10, 2007.

1. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

In the spring I'll be selling my car and truck, the car is new the truck is old. Im looking to get into something small- midsize 4x4 so I can plow with it and still use it as my daily driver. Im getting sick of fixing the same crap on two vehicles. I talked to the local Snow Way dealer today who quoted me an approx. price for the 22 series or 26 series at being around 4,200. I was somewhat floored since I only do about 20 accounts total mostly driveways but some small commercial.

Is that a fair price for a snow way? Or should I look at maybe a sport duty boss, or one of the homesteader plows? Is there such thing as a cheaper but still reliable plow?

If all else fails I could always take the plow off my truck now (meyer 6.5) and mount it on the new vehicle but I was hoping to get something a little more reliable.
  2. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

4,200 bucks for a snow way? For that money you could get a real plow like Western, Meyer or a Boss.
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

for the money

any small worth it salt will trip the $4000.00 range,i like the boss sport duty, but now a days small trucks and plows are not for commercial use (light duty) you may tear it up with with 20+ acct's.may want to go full size truck and plow to lessen the repair bill's also you get more bang for your buck in a plow and truck.as the small plows are about the same price as a full size plow :salute:
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Something to think about if you are planning on a new plow: Use the old one you have now this winter since it is basically over, anyway. Declare your plowing income as a business income on taxes this year (for 2006 tax year). Next fall, approach the plow dealer of the brand you want and ask if they'll give you a "business discount". I got $900 off a $4200 plow by giving them a copy of last year's Schedule C. That's a little over 21%.
  5. Vulcanclassic15

Vulcanclassic15 Member
    from Ohio

Some thing you might want to read:
    I read this the other day & remembered it when reading you post. It might help with your decision. At least some questions you might want to ask the dealer, if anything the info might help you get more of a discount, the dealer might work out a good deal knowing you are aware of the potential problem.