1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A good lesson to all business owners

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplower1, Mar 10, 2014.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Our business has been in business for almost 30 years and have never had an insurance problem ever. Come today we had someone file a claim for a slip and fall that was not under contract that is supposed to be covered by the property but instead of that being the issue we find that our insurance dropped our snow plowing liability! Nobody told us about this so it must have happened recently so now we are going to be dropped by our largest customer tomorrow if we don't come up with a new insurance agent and we also have a huge storm coming here wednesday so we wouldn't be allowed to plow.

With this, everyone should be on top of their insurance to always make sure your insurance has not changed or anything. By the way, this is hartford insurance who did this, they dropped all coverage of plowing in New York State.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think I don't get it. Someone slipped on a lot you don't have a contract for. Or you didn't know you didn't have insurance?

3. snowplower1

didn't know we didn't have insurance. we have a contract for it but the slip was not in an event that we were responsible for but because of it they (and we) found out we don't have insurance anymore.

4. grandview

Who threw out the cancellation notice ,didn't realize you weren't getting a premium notice,or was it just dropped.

5. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Time for a visit to the lawyer's office.

6. snowplower1

never got any notice. We have our insurance through our payroll people just because it makes it easier which comes to not be true because its making a headache. But yes Rick547, we are going to be holding them responsible for any lawsuit in that slip and fall but our main focus is they are sending an emergency notice to another insurance company to sign us up so we don't get dropped.

7. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Here in Canada, some insurance companies are starting to refuse to insure snow removal companies. I guess they have just been loosing to much money due to claims overall.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck on short notice getting coverage with a slip & fall to boot. I'll PM you more.

9. snowplower1

well it is actually working out i guess they say but the thing is, they arent going to be covering the slip and fall so that is why they will be able to do it on short notice. Once we get re-signed up then we'll be going to hopefully talk with a lawyer to make sure they take responsibility.

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have lunch with my insurance agent once a year on my renewal. I pay cause he works for me. I still don't get how they can drop you over a claim before paying it out...I agree with everyone else, they would be dealing with my lawyer yesterday..

11. grandview

I think he means his insurance lapsed and someone fell and won't cover it.

12. snowplower1

yeah we are definitely going to be considering doing our insurance work ourselves and a little more closely but what happened was sometime in the last year hartford insurance decided they would not cover anything snowplowing related like liability in new york but someone at our agency that signs our insurance up missed that notice and let it go so now we went all year without insurance and there is no one insurance to cover the slip so if they sue we will be covering it. which sucks.

13. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

Had something similar here. Got a notice from NY that my motorhome hadn't been insured for 28 days. I tried to call my agent and it got forwarded to a different agency all together. Turns out my agent just up and closed shop. My renewal never got processed. Took all the customer records with him. The insurance was through Allstate and the cancelation notice came the day after the letter from the state. Fortunately it was off season so I could just surrender then plates for 28 days. Made me review all my insurance and I was so pissed off I switched to GEICO. Actually did save money and so far so good.

What really gets me is that agent kept all the records and now is using my information to keep sending me unsolicited mail.

14. grandview

Lawyer time. So why didn't your payroll company discover this,was your agent accepting the premium money or was it going directly to Hartford?

Also,what date did it happen on,was it when you were still covered?

15. snowplower1

Grandview, we pay our payroll who signs up for the insurance and then they pay that insurance company so it is something they missed and somehow never realized it or just thought somehow that it is okay for a plowing company to not have plowing insurance lol but we are not even sure when they dropped but the slip happened late october, early november. Cant even remember because with this winter it feels like years ago. We will be looking into that a little later but first we need to make sure we're allowed to plow during this storm!

16. grandview

Thing is ,if they fell while you were still covered and dropped after they still have to defend you.So you really need to find out fast.

17. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Is that what your lawyer told you? If not, make an appointment to see one and do not agree to pay anything until you talk to one. It sounds like your agent has some responsibility here and I'm sure he has insurance to cover such a screwup by one of his employees.

18. snowplower1

Agreed for sure. Hopefully that will be the case and tomorrow after the new insurance signs us up we'll be right on top of finding out everything about who screwed up and notifying our lawyer.

19. grandview

It's called Errors and Omissions insurance

20. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

price state farm for rv insurance nobody has beat their prices