1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a good exhaust system for a 1998 GMC 2500 regular cab

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by meathead1134, Mar 19, 2006.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

I've been trying to do some research for an exhaust system for my truck 1998 GMC 2500 regular cab. I've found a ton of exhausts for a 1/2 ton but haven't found much for a 3/4 ton truck. Flowmaster makes 1 but it isn't stainless steel which I'm looking for, you guys got any ideas??? I would like a pretty good rumble, I've though of glasspacks but I'm concerned with emissions in MA.

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You have the 5.7 (350)?

3. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

yes I do the motor is very strong

4. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I dont like flowmaster I think there junk. Own opinion. What I would lead you to is a Dynomax or a Borla, excelent for me Borla is mello and highway is quite same with Dynomax. Flowmaster is just way to loud and never seems to quite down no matter RPM's. Glass packs are junk, you'll replace more than oil.

5. chevyplowboy

chevyplowboy Junior Member

flowmaster

Best mufflers for chevy are flowmasters they sound good and add horsepower to your truck. midas will install stainless steel exhaust with the flowmaster muffler.

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

flow master huh gotta see if they make one for my 6.0

7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'd go with a Vortex muffler (dual inlet, dual outlet) and run either aluminized or stainless pipe out the back and have a nice dual setup. My buddy had aluminized pipes custom bent straight out the back with a Vortex dual inlet dual outlet muffler, installed for $350. What does the stock setup look like now? Is it just one cat and a single inlet, single outlet muffler?

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Get Flowmaster. It is the only way to go for Chevy's. I have a 40 series and love it. Go to any Lou's Custom Exhaust in the area and they will hook you up!

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Yes I agree Lou's can just fabricate a custom setup.

*2.5" aluminumized pipe
    *40 series Flowmaster muffler single inlet, dual outlet
    *Yukon Denali tips- I had strait back and changed, strait sounded louder but fills with snow! Angled is better suited for plowing.
    *leave the cat on to be emissions legal.

It sounded and looked awesome, It was on 5 years and still was in perfect shape.

99 gmc.jpg

99 gmc exhaust.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Sounds familiar. I have the original 40, single in/ dual out, 2.5" aluminized pipe, and 4" stainless steel tips 45 degree out the back. It is a great setup!

11. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

Just my two cents as an exhaust installer. I would suggest magnaflow for its all stainless construction.:nod:

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

700.00 buck for magnaflow set up :nono:

13. Brett K

Brett K Member

DOn't buy the whole catback. Just get the Magnaflow and have your shop do the rest. Another option is Flo-Pro. Flowmasters create a horrible drone in the cab. They are about the loudest muffler out there. Too many they sound great. I have never seen a dyno of a flowmaster resulting in increased hp either, usually it will cost you some. If you want a stainless kit, check out Gibson. If this is a plow truck, you may want to go with single exhaust. Dual exhaust means reduced back pressure and will cost you a little torque at low rpm and gives you more hp at higher rpm, the opposite of what you want.