1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A Glossary of Snow Terms... contribute if you like!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Lad, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I'm trying to find common definitions for terms that we all use in the industry. Often when terms are used people don't understand and I think we all use terms slightly differently. In an effort to rid us of confusion - I believe a standard glossary of terms could be developed.

Chuck Smith has a list of definitions on his website (http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/snow-plowing-glossary.html) that covers mostly equipment, and some operational definitions.

Ultimately I see this cummulative report becoming a glossary for the industry available through SIMA. I don't think this is a work that can be produced over night and like the dictionary will be constantly changing and evolving.

I see this glossary defining operational terms so that when we communicate with customers they begin to develop the same vocabularly as we use. We do not want the customer to be confused about the service we are providing.

The simplest way to approach this might be by initially breaking the business into segments. Such as plowing/clearing operations, ice control, equipment, etc.

Therefore, how do we define the following:

Clearing
    Snow Removal
    Snow Relocaiton
    Stacking
    Trigger depth
    Windrowing

Ice Control
    De-icing
    Anti-icing

Well, this is a start... what else do we talk about daily without even thinking about whether the other person understands what we're talking about!?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Good Idea, Lawn Lad. But does it have to be available only through SIMA? There are people here who would contribute who are not members of SIMA.

3. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I don't think it's a SIMA only gig. I think it's an industry benefit. However SIMA is the source for information for the industry. I don't see this as a paid for type of publication. More free domain - it just needs to be documented and produced which is easy to do in electronic format which could be passed around quite readily. It will take the considerable time of SIMA and the education committee should they decide to take it on as a project to make sure that the definitions are the best, all encompassing definitions. This is particularly the case if SIMA as the "authority" for the industry will attach its name to it.

So the simple answer is yes Mick - I don't think anyone should be excluded from having access to this list.

This type of work is just another example of why joining SIMA will give you better access to additional information since as an organization they can pull together a document like this through the efforts of volunteers. This probably isn't a project that an individual would undertake on their own for the benefit of the common good. It takes an organization to bring the project through to completion and maintain an ongoing database that can be updated. There needs to be a central point of information that will always be there. SIMA represents that central point of data collection and dissemination for the industry.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Could we have a section on Plow Site called "Definitions" or something similar? I'd just like it to be easily accessible to all those engaged in the business of plowing.

5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

How bout a few mixed ones

Virga (sucks for us) Snow that isnt reaching the ground.
    Plowing with the storm
    Banking
    Breaking a path
    Curb to Curb

Jay

6. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Snowplowjay - can you define those....

I know curb to curb and plowing with the storm. What do you mean by the others.

Here are two definitions I use for de-icing and anti-icing:

1) De-icing is the reactive application of a ice/snow melting product to driving or walking surfaces to melt existing snow and ice from pavement surfaces.

2) Anti-icing is the pro-active application of ice/snow melting product prior to the storm to driving and/or walking surfaces to reduce ice and snow from bonding to the pavement surfaces. Anti-icing reduces ice pack and allows for plowing operations to clean snow and ice to the pavement surface more readily. Anti-icing is used in conjunction with de-icing particularly in advance of an anticipated heavy winter storm events.

7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Banking aka Stacking

Breaking a path as in your first pass in a snow clogged parking lot or bigger lot.

And as I began to define Virga is a meteorological term referring to precipitation which is showing up on radar that is not actually reaching the ground but is instead falling in the upper levels of the atmoshpere. I thought that it was a good term for here since it is a tease to us as plowers. You could see a radar screen filled with bright greens and yellows and then look outside and see not a flake of snow has fallen due to Virga.

Jay

8. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

there are a lot of snowplowing terms people dont under stand. a glossary for snowplowing terms sounds like a great idea. :drinkup:

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Meteorologist, A person on the news we all dislike most of the time.

Momma, Mother nature

24/7 service, Snow will be removed any time of the day or night including weekends & holidays.

U-edge or Polly edge, Replaces steel touching the pavement to prevent damage, eliminate scrape marks & lower noise levels.

Snow plowing, The process of pushing snow from one area to another, using a snow plow.

Snow Removal, The process of actually removing snow from an area.

Snow clearing, Clearing the snow from an area. Similar to snow plowing, but may include the use of shovels and snow blowers.

Snow Pusher, a device to push snow either by hand or with the use of heavy equipment.

SIMA, (S-eye-muh) Snow and ice Management Association.

Back drag, The process of pulling snow away from an object in reverse.

Wings, a device that attaches to a snowplow that helps move snow with less runoff.

Run-off, Snow that falls away from the plow on the unintended side. Also traveling water from the melting of snow.

Snow Pack, Snow that becomes compressed, Similar to ice.

Treatment, Application of a ice melting compound.

Stack, A Snow pile resulting from snow plowing.

Stacking, the process of piling snow.

Trigger, The depth at which the process of snow clearing begins.

Pump, A motor that moves the snow plow.

Joystick, The device used to control the movement of a snow plow.

Permit, A license issued by a government agency, that is required to plow snow in some jurisdictions.

Morons, People who drive in blizzard like conditions & ignore travel bans.

Road hazard, people who refuse to change their driving habits with road conditions. Commonly seen driving SUV's.

Take a peek, Waking up at 3am to look out the window & check conditions.

10. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

GG you for got a very important one:

Snow = Money!

Rick:drinkup:

11. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

You forgot one thing yourself, customers can't see that.
    being a solo guy, I want them to think I'm a poor *******. If they knew I was making $$$ doing it they would want a discount & we all know they can't all have that.

12. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Define "Windrow" or "windrowing" What do "you" call a windrow?

I've heard the term(s) used in two ways. First, what Got Grass calls fall off, I've called windrows, that little trail that's left behind after a pass if you're taking too big of a bite.

I've also heard windrowing used as a verb, the act of moving snow from one side of the lot to the other. It's the accumulated snow parrellel with your travel that builds up. Cutting behind the windrow (accumulated snow) in a parrellel direction or "bucking" the windrow by pushing through it in a perpendicular fashion are two ways to thin out the windrow to keep moving it across the lot.

13. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Main Entry: [1]wind·row
    Pronunciation: 'win(d)-"rO
    Function: noun
    Date: circa 1534
    1 a : a row of hay raked up to dry before being baled or stored b : a similar row of cut vegetation (as grain) for drying
    2 : a row heaped up by or as if by the wind
    3 a : a long low ridge of road-making material scraped to the side of a road b : BANK, RIDGE, HEAP

Main Entry: [2]windrow
    Function: transitive verb
    Date: 1729
    : to form (as hay) into a windrow

Merriam-Webster Dictionary.....

~Chuck

14. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Yep I always thought it was the snow pushed off to the side, when the blade is angled. EX. the piles left by DOT's on the side of the road.
    Cutting back the windrow, referred to as pushing the snow on the side of the road further to the side to make room for more snow or improved visibility.
    Shelfing, Where the plows go down the road with the wing out but raised to create a shelf in the windrow

15. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Alot of good definitions here guy's . I have one that i am not sure how to define maybe some of you could help? MEYER????? LOL

16. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Meyer- The largest and one of the oldest snow removal companies. Meyer is now owned by Louis Bekman Steel which also owns Diamond and Swenson. Meyer produces plows from the light to midsize truck up tp light C&C trucks. They also produce spreaders for the same market place.

How is that?

17. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

That is the real answer i was more looking for a :jester:

18. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Actually SnowplowJay has the real definition of Meyer plows. He and I made the definition last winter, but Jay is the one who still should have the definition. Time to pull up that ol' Webster dictionary with definition of Meyer, huh Jay? ;) :D

19. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I lost it :( I think I deleted it from the computer Steven.

Jay

20. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

:eek: :eek: Nooooo that is the definition I was looking for. Oh well I hope you can come up w/ another one :drinkup: here by the way are a couple more terms. I am not good at defining but someone can

Salt spreader:
    V-box:
    Liquid De-Icers:
    Pro wings:
    Turkey wings:
    Wing: