1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A general, but perhaps odd question about

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gd8boltman, Oct 15, 2008.

1. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

installing an electric fuel pump on a 95' K2500 350 t.b.i.

Could I install an electric fuel pump remotely on the frame, rather than going through the box and or fuel tank removal to access the factory pump? I am unsure if this would work, but I am curious if anyone has tried it or has knowledge of someone doing it.

Thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

yes and no.

yes can be done but need as close to tank as possible. then remove stock fuel pump still in tank and make a suction tube extension to replace the pump. and still need to install some kind of sock screen. and these pumps like to push more then suck fuel to the pressure desired.

best is stock in tank for best results and less problems.

if you want a little more power and performance for a few bucks resurch tbichips.com he has good info on pressure upgrades for tbi 95-down vehicles. basicly a chip/pressure regulator spring and higher flow/pressure pump. he has found that stock pumps or o.e replacements cant even maintane the 12-13 psi on the high end flow needs .

3. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I am getting tired of changing

these fuel pumps, they last sometimes 6 months, and sometimes two years, I have even replaced the entire sender/pump assy. and have also used a GM unit. I just thought maybe a remote pump was a possibility.

Thanks

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

1 big thing that will kill these pumps on our end is rust. the stuff gets under the frame ground and the pump is not getting the propor voltage/ground feeds it needs. also check your main power wire and see if there is and corrosion .

and have you replaced the frame mounted fuel filter at all. to much restriction will burn up the pump.

got to be somthing you are missing.

5. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I must not be the only one my '89 Ive put a new fuel pump in every year for the last 3 years...

6. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

We certainly have the rust issue as well, I have

replaced the fuel filter regularly, at least annually whaich is less than 5,000 miles as it is primarily a back up plow truck, I cleaned and fastened the ground with new hardware each time I have changed the pump, have not checked the power wire from front to back though. Always keep the tank at 1/2 full at a minimum. Although not a huge deal, with the age of the truck, changing the pump is getting a little more time consuming and challenging, but it appears as my only option.

Thanks

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I installed a good quality electric pump on my old style 88 Chevy V-30 2 years ago in the engine compartment and absolutely no problems.Works great.

8. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Tuney, explain a little more, did you leave the

other pump in the tank? What type of pump did you use? Did you splice wiring to new pump from old pump harness? I assume you have a TBI motor? Have you had any issues?, I was thinking perhaps I could place one near the tank on the framerail.

Thanks

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you can do just that. An externally mounted pump WILL draw through the stock in tank pump since they're of a gerotor design so they add very little restriction to the external pumps ability to pull the fuel through it.... so you can leave the old pump in the tank as is.

You will need a higher pressure pump than a regular old carb equipped engine would use because the TBI trucks need a pump that will maintain 12-15 PSI capacity, and it's preferable to use a good quality pump as well. Aeromotive makes some nice hi quality inline pumps perfect for this application.

10. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Thanks B&B, I think I may look into

it and give it a try