1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A funny thing happened......

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by KAG, Dec 14, 2007.

1. KAG

KAG Senior Member

I own and operate a lawn & landscape company using quality commercial mowers, hydroseeder, and tractor loader. We had a large ice storm and as I have a tree service I said to myself a skid steer with grapple bucket would be a money maker. So I go buy a used Bobcat 863 w/ a Deutz engine (my tractor is a Deutz) which is why I bought this one. Only 1100 hrs on it and in really good shape. I pull in to get fuel and the manager wants to know if I do snow plowing. (been thinking about it anyway) I say sure.....she tells me they have 5 stores and wants to know how much to just push it off their small lots. I say $100 bucks each per push, no removal or ice (hope I did not low ball it). Then an hour later a large new apt complex company calls and wants me to do 2 of their properties.........I say sure and sign the contracts with all of them.

The funny part is as this all happened in 1 day, I do not even have a blade for my Bob. I would love a recommendation on size blade / boxed or straight blade for it? My Bob is a 75hp 7500lb machine. Bad thing is it is open.....I guess a mad bomber hat and goggles is in order.
  2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

damn didnt u just dive right in with out checking the temp of the water
  3. TEX

TEX Senior Member

welcome to the biz lol

now start making some money. and have everything ready with insurance
  4. KAG

KAG Senior Member

My contractor's policy covers me w/ 1mil......1st thing I called and checked.
  5. occ3377

occ3377 Member

a questions are, are you planning on expanding anymore? looking for quality blade? or are you just trying to get something cheaper to use on those accounts?
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

most commerical policies specifically exclude snow removal, better triple check, most of us have additional policies.

Anyway, I'd get a blade. Esp since you have a grapple, you have the side to side hydralics already up there. Get a blade with wings 8' or so (10" with wings) which should be both big enough to move snow and small enough to get around.

Boxes are awesome, but you can't backdrag, and they can get in the way in smaller lots.

Add weights to your tractor if you can. More weight is better.
  7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

yep i was going to say the same thing