1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a frame

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by sthoms3355, Jan 3, 2014.

1. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

Anybody crack their "A" frame in half before?

2014-01-02 15.04.37.jpg

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, seen it in person and on here several times.

It happens.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

No...but I'm sad for you. That sucks

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

That sucks but easy fix. Fishplating would be advised.

5. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

Yep my shop guys got it all set for tomorrow's 12"+ storm. Welded heavy angle iron on it to beef it up. Wish us luck!

6. syNNer

syNNer Junior Member

Had it happen to us twice with the same driver. Seems this driver likes to stack a lot of snow. Not sure if that weakens that area of the A frame or not.

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Why does every body blame breakage on stacking. I have been stacking for 20 seasons with the same a frame and blade. Never any issue. It is the cheap thin materials used in modern stuff cause of the bean counters.

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Just fixed cracks on two Hinikers in that area.

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Just fixed cracks on two Hinikers in that area.

Why are the bolts out of the front?

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I stack snow with our Hiniker, no cracks.
    (plow is 8yr old)

There is a difference between running into a pile and stacking snow.

11. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

How often do you wash or let it thaw out? I wash mine after every storm, and keep it in my heated garage when not on the truck. I noticed the first few times when I pick it up to put it on the truck it dumped out rusty water, which was probably snow and washing water that froze/ drained in the aframe. Ever since I've been careful and let it thaw overnight while raised on the truck inside so it doesn't pool in the plow and it no longer comes out rusty since it's not sitting there for days at a time.

If the plow sits outside on a truck I can see the sun melting the ice on the black steel and it sitting inside rusting away until it's too weak and breaks