1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A frame to quadrant bolt

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by racer0175, Dec 4, 2005.

1. racer0175

racer0175 Member

i've had a pro poly ultra-mount for 3 seasons, lately i've noticed alot more play in the plow.

apon closer inspection i noticed the 3/4 inch x 4 inch bolt is loose, i've tried tighting it and it won't budge.

i can actually move the plow quite a bit from side to side. i was rechecking the instructions, and it said to tighten the bolt until the plow doesn't move, then back it off a 1/4 turn, there is no way i could do that without crushing the quadrant, on top of that its bending the piece of metal where the chains attach...

i'm thinking of getting that bolt off some how, and trying to get a washer in there or something.

does that metal on the a-frame wear away or something?

another thing i noticed is that the a-frame isn't level either, its probably 1" lower on the truck side...

i've got a 1/2 ton chevy, with it set up in configuration 2, i know thats right, but i always thought the a-frame should be level...

i plow alot of lots with alot of un-even ground, so it gets alot of good shots a night, i'm wondering if its just wear and tear, or if something else is wrong...

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

There should be a spacer in between the top of the a-frame and the top part of the quadrant. This is what takes up the slack and allows you to tighten the bolt so tight without compromising the quadrant.

You can get an exploded view of this on Western's website if you follow the links through "Literature" to the service manuals. From the sounds of it, that pivot bolt needs to be replaced. A good impact or long breaker bar will be needed to get that stuff loosened up.

3. racer0175

racer0175 Member

is the bolt softer than the a frame?

i just called the dealer, and they have a bolt, so i'm gonna buy it and pull it apart, i'm afraid if the bolt is a grade 8 that the whole a frame is egged out, and i'm screwed...

when i look at it its moving 1/8th inch side to side, how could i have done that much damage or had that much wear?

4. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

I need to get mine apart-- The A frame is bent and I want to replace it. My bolt spins free but the nut on top is frozen. I was about to grind it off when I noticed there is a nut in the middle (sort of inside the quadrant) as well. It's not budging either and not a spot to try to grind it away. Any ideas on getting this thing out?

My dealer told me it's a grade 5 bolt. I'm guessing a grade 8 would not hold up to the stresses applied to it. (brittle)

EDIT: My plow is an 8' steel Uni-mount Pro series

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Grade 8 bolts are stronger than grade 5, my guess would be the grade 5 bolt is meant to be a stress point that breaks before something else.

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Yup, use a gr5 bolt. The bolt will be the same or slightly softer than the quadrant, and will be subjected to most of the wear.