1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A-frame swap

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by asphalter1, Feb 19, 2011.

1. asphalter1

asphalter1 Junior Member
    from 08527

I have a 6.6 western standard conventional mount plow assembly but need a unimount blade ,my question is can I just swap the a-frame with a uni mount one?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Western has no "standard conventional" mount so are not providing clear enough information for a good answer. Western has the old uni-mount (with four pins) and the new ultra-mount (with two locking devices). From what you say you have a 6 1/2' straight blade but of what kind? Standard, pro-plow, heavy-weight?

3. asphalter1

asphalter1 Junior Member
    from 08527

I have a standard blade with 2 pins and have the four pin unimount on the jeep, so what I'm asking is if I can change the a-frame to the unimount (4pin)... Thanks

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Thats a tuff question to answer. A good idea but a tuff question. You would need lots more than the A-frame though if it did fit. You need the light stand, swivel bar, swivel plates, drop stands and so on. And... you say it's on a Jeep? You may find that the Jeep is to light to take any kind of uni-mount. The one I looked at recently would only take the very light suburbanite or HTS. I suggest you go to the Western site and look up your specific Jeep on the quick match and see if there is an ultra-mount that will fit it and then see what plow options it will accept.

Back to the main question... I would have to say I expect that the answer to your question is no. You probably cannot just switch a-frames but don't know absolutely for sure.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Huh? :nono:

Western used to offer the 6.5' S/U (Sport/Utility) plow for just such trucks as Jeeps, Rangers, S-10's and that was a Unimount plow. I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but you may want to go back and verify it before proceeding much further...
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/63607_101503.pdf
    Thumbs Up

6. asphalter1

asphalter1 Junior Member
    from 08527

i have the 6.5 sport utility set up on the jeep now but the blade is shot... i'm looking to put a 6.6 blade standard on it but need a unimount a frame...

7. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yes you can swap out the a frame from the sport utility to the standard but the standard a frame has to be a unimount not the conventional. you could modify it with the back of the sport utility a frame.

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

That is so true...I have one sitting in my yard.........The are light enough to do the job for small vehicle like a Chevy blazer for example or a GMC s15

9. asphalter1

asphalter1 Junior Member
    from 08527

Thank you all for the info....

10. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I assumed but shouldn't have,but you would have to use the quadrant from the standard also because the a frame from the sport utility won't bolt up to the standard mold board.

11. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

I got to jump into this conversation

I have three 6'6" western plows. One is the Sport Utility UniMount. One is the Standard duty UniMount. One is the Conventional non-UniMount.

The Sport Utility UniMount has a different mold board, quadrant, angling rams and a-frame from the other two.

The Standard Duty Unimount shares the same mold board and quadrant with the conventional. The A-frame is different. I believe the angle cylinders/rams are different also.

The frame that holds the pump and lights is universal for all UniMounts but will NOT fit on a conventional A-frame.

If you are only hooking up two pins and the pump/light carriage is bolted on the vehicle you probably have a "Conventional" set up. It has a standard duty blade. standard duty quadrant. conventional a-frame. (Quadrant and Moldboard are interchangeable with the Standard Duty Uni Mount NOT the Sport Duty)

If you want to convert it to a UniMount you will need a UniMount Standard duty A frame (western part number 61891). The whole pump/light carriage, western calls it a lift assembly and can be found at http://parts.westernplows.com/poster.asp you will also need link arms from truck mount to "lift assembly". There are diagrams of all this on the western web site at http://parts.westernplows.com/poster.asp The only thing I am not sure on is the angling rams/cylinders. I do believe they are different. I will know for sure this week as I will be taking it apart.

I just bought the conventional plow today. My summer plan is turning my Sport Utility UniMount into a Standard Duty UniMount. I am taking the mold board, quadrant, and a-frame off of the Sport Utility and be selling if anyone is interested (its the red plow on my Jeep in my pictures). I will be taking the mold board and quadrant off of the conventional set up, buying a standard duty UniMount A-frame 61891 (if anyone has one for cheap I'd be interested), buy new angling cylinders/rams and using the light/pump carriage off of the sport utility to make a complete plow. I will also take it a step further and have John aka "The Garagekeeper" send it all out to be sandblasted and hot dipped galvanized like my other Standard duty Uni.

I hope this helps Thumbs Up and doesn't confuse you:dizzy: