1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A frame question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mnz28, Jan 19, 2010.

1. mnz28

mnz28 Member

http://www.centralparts.com/Diagram27.aspx

I broke my plow and yes I was being stupid when it happened. Looking at the picture where part# 21 connects to the a-frame part # 18. I broke the tab that's the farthest back, not the pivot bolt tab. It's the tab that it seems controls how far the plow can move side to side. Its a smooth break and I can weld it back up. I am wondering how much distance should be between the tab and the 1/2 ring on part 21. I did have some play when the plow was raised and now that I'm fixing it I'm gonna do it right. If I need to add metal on the bottom of the tab I can since It's easy to get at now that I broke it off. Sorry for my description.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

what kind of plow do you have??

Do you have pictures of the plow?

Or pictures of the "A" frame and the "quadrant "??

Any case, there should be the old weld mark from were it was original welded?

Or position the plow (still attach to the A frame and quadrant) to center, and measure the distant between the stop (the one that is still attach) and the plow...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  3. mnz28

mnz28 Member

It would be the tab that slips into the quadrant. I have the broken part and can place it back.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

4. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

Do you mean the height to the underside of the angle?

The front to back placement would be guided by the old weld and the pin holes.

The height from the A-frame about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch clearance. It still has to have some flex to follow ground contours.

5. mnz28

mnz28 Member

Sorry for the small image if you click it enlarges it. I circled the area I broke. I appreciate all the help on this.

6. mnz28

mnz28 Member

[​IMG]
    is it common to have to add metal to this area?

7. twinman326

simple way. U have several holes on the quadrant. With the A frame and the quadrant bolt together, take the broken piece , using a screw driver put it through the hole (guide plate) and the center hole on the quadrant. The distant between the guide plate and the quadrant should be about 1/4, and back. Tack weld it to keep the plate in place, re-measure, and weld..Also might want to check the A frame for crack or broken welds..

If the plate is in bad shape, u might have to fab a new one. Don't forget the plate has a bend to it.

guide plate.jpg

Or use your own judgment

guide plate.jpg

8. mnz28

mnz28 Member

Thank you welded it up tonight.

9. twinman326

good luck..