1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a-frame problem?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Plowking, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Plowking

Plowking Junior Member

I have a 2000 F-350 crew cab diesel I use an 8'poly husky Meyer plow. When I angle to the right, the cutting edge touches all the way across, angle it to the left and the left side comes up about 1". I figured my a-frame was bent because it only lifted on one side. The cutting edge is new. I put a new a-frame on ($350.00) and the problem is now opposite. It lays flat angled to the left and comes off the asphalt a good 1" or better on the right when angled that way. The undercarriage measures perfectly even off a level driveway. The a-frame angle is not quite level but is not severe. Any time I had that problem the cutting edge lifted on both sides at full angle. I am really stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

What does it do while you plow? My blade never sets right when sitting still, but once in motion it settles into its appropriate attitude.

3. Plowking

Plowking Junior Member

It plows nice to the left but leaves a lot of snow under the right side of the blade when plowing to the right.

4. Plow Daddy

Plow Daddy Junior Member

I might be experencing the same problem that you are. I noticed that only about half my blade lenght was cutting to the pavement, while the other half left a fine layer of snow, only when angled though. I found the problem to be with the hinge pin, the hole in my driver side hinge pin was oblonge and there is too much play in it. The wear over time has caused a 5/8" difference in cutting edge height from left to right.

5. Plowking

Plowking Junior Member

Thanks Plowdaddy. I will check that out and let you know.

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have the same problem, only mine is off the ground on either angle. I just attributed it to the 4" lift on the truck. If I decrease the angle a little bit, it set just fine?

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Sounds like the hitch point between the plow and the truck is to high. If you lower that point, the plow will work fine.
    Dino

8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks, that is what I was wondering. I have acces to another A frame that has been fabricated with pieces of steel to lower the hitch point or lesson the angle of the blade. The only reason I have not used it, is because it weighs more obviously and the blade has what appeares to be a homemade wing and deflecter set up that has to weigh at least an extra 100 lbs or more. It is made out of what looks to be tires. I guess I'll just have to get a burst of energy and remove the rubber parts and use the a frame and blade. Thanks.

9. Plow Daddy

Plow Daddy Junior Member

gt_racer50,
    I also noticed that if I decrease the angle that it does a lot better, but when doing the big lots the angle is decreased so much that I end up with run off the side of my plow I don't want it to run off of. It just makes it a pin in the neck, but I am subcontracted, paid by the hr. so I'm not complaining to much.

10. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Lower the A-frame were it attaches to the truck. I had the same problem w/ a Meyer and when it was lowered the problem went away.

11. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

I fixed one for a friend of mine that was doing that. The center mounting holes on the back of the mold board was broke off looked like they only put one small bead of weld on it at the factory! I believe it was the top hole which is just a 2 inch long section of 2X2X1/4 angle iron with a 5/8 hole drilled in it!