1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A frame position center hole?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by scitown, Feb 26, 2008.

1. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I tried searching for this topic but I dont know what to call it wich makes it difficult to search. If this is already a topic please point me in the right direction. My fisher MM1 is in the stock middle hole for the A frame. I know I read on here somewhere that the small DPW rigs run them at more of an angle so the blade trips easier. What if anything have you guys found to be the best position for the A frame? If I bump mine up to the top hole will it scrape any better? What are the avantages and disavantages of this adjustment. Right now the A frame is ver very slightly lower than parrellel. The top hole would put it three or so inches above parallel (just eyeing it). I know it should at least be flat or parallel to the ground. Any help would be great thanks.
  2. Chevy 2500 hd

Chevy 2500 hd Member

If you are looking to scrape the best you would put it in the lower hole so then the plow is pitching down but you do lose some of your able to stack as high. If you look at the x blades they have what they call the attack angle which scrapes really well
  3. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I think if I would put it in the higher hole it would be more agressive and pitched down? Do you have that backwards or is it me? If it was in the lower hole it would be more like a scoop and easier to stack?
  4. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

You need to keep the a-frame as close to level as possible. If not the edges will wear down at a very high rate. I currently have an x-blade and it scrapes awsome.
  5. Chevy 2500 hd

Chevy 2500 hd Member

Snow7899 is right but on the hole thing think about it if the a frame is level in the center hole you put it in the top hole now your a frame is tipping downward toward the truck but if its in the lowest the a frame now pitchs toward the plow
  6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Put it in the bottom hole. The more aggressive the angle the better. We are talking fractions of an inch here. Its not like if you change the plow by one hole that its going to be a world of difference. It will be a nice switch to give that cutting edge a little better attack angle. Below parallel is no good.....thats really fighting the plow when it needs to trip. I would make that change tomorrow...
  7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I found that the GM front ends sit lower than Ford & Dodge, and that even with ballast in the back, the center holes that the dealer used still made the Aframe pitch slightly upward and thus not scraping down as well. I changed the setting to the lower holes so, like people said, it pitches things down a bit more. I like the concept of the Xblades using a more agressive attack angle (and I'm anxious to get one eventually).
  8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

If you plow streets for a city or town and you are sick of you plow flying up in the air. Just take out a spring. The edge will trip alot easier and still cut nice