1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a-frame long or short

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by the eggman, Jan 5, 2011.

1. the eggman

the eggman Member
    from ohio

I need your input on my a-frame.
    I have a 96 k-1500 that i am rebuilding
    a plow for this truck. The plow is a 7 1/2 steel blade
    with a long a- frame.
    What do you guys think i should do leave it
    long or cut it back to where my old one was.
    Thanks all for you input :drinkup:
  2. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

shouldn't effect anything leaving it long, Those are for the real old style that pinned way inder the front of the bumper. If you do cut it better you make sure its all square when you do it or it won't sit right on the ground or do what I do and put a swivel on.
  3. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Leave it! Better for stacking, and changing it cost $$$$$. I've had no negative issues with using the longer one.
  4. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Leave it alone :salute:

5. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

It depends on how far out in front of the truck it will be. Sure you could stack snow higher because it will lift higher, BUT you also have to concider the angle of the lift chain. The chain should be almost straight up and down, to much angle will put extra strain on the pump when trying to lift the plow, and when traveling with the plow on it will put tremendous strain on the pump, and lift frame. I've seen a guy snap the whole upper frame off his truck by doing this. He hit a bump in the road that he didn't know was there and when the plow bounced up and came back down on the chain "CRACK" It was all over except the crying.
  6. the eggman

the eggman Member
    from ohio

I left the a-frame long for now. Its about 3 1/2 in long. I may cut it down
    because of the weight. last night I put every thing together
    and plowed with it and plowed great. now its time to think
    about paint