1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A Frame length

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by born2farm, Oct 17, 2011.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Ok, here is the situation. Last year some how or another I bent the a-frame on my classic mount meyers. This summer I bought a spreader from a guy, and he through in an old rusted out meyer classic mount for free. I was planning on just swapping a-frames and calling it done. Well I got looking at them this weekend and the one I am swapping to appears to be the longer style. Is this going to cuase me any problems. Appears to be the same size cylinders and al of the mounting is the same, just the hook up point is about 5 inches further back. the way I see it, my blade will just stick out 5 inches further. Is this correct or am I missing something?

2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

It will stick out the extra 5" for sure. I'm not sure I would want the extra though, it will make the plow feel a lot heavier. Maybe you could have it shortened?

3. born2farm

Ya I realize it will stick out another five inches, but that doesnt really concern me. Its a .7.5 meyers with pro wings on my f250 powerstroke. The truck just kind of laughs at the weight up there. Are there any other differences?

4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

One thing that just came to mind it your plow lights may shine on the back of the plow instead of over it.
    Some of the vehicles had mounts that were back under the truck farther so in essence the plow is always in the same place (distance from grill) Try it and see I guess. :mechanic:

5. born2farm

hmm...never thought about that. Im going to tear it apart this weekend and see what happens. Need to fix it, because if I angle full left it will not crape to pavement.

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

you will need to move the lift chain from the swing radius to the plate above the pivot bolt. otherwise the lift chain will lift at an angle and the plow will only lift about 2-3 inches.
    i run the long A frames on all my plows to keep them away from the front bumper.

7. born2farm

Will do thanks