1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A- frame latch

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by blizzard2, Nov 25, 2011.

1. blizzard2

blizzard2 Junior Member

I just bought the 800hd plow used. I had the same plow 5 years ago, but I sold it. The new plow's A- frame latch engages, but the plow will not lift off the ground. When I dont hook it up the plow works great. Do I need this conected or can I leave it off?

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Trying to make sure I understand this correct. You have the a frame latch locked ? If so it won't let it lift untill you lower the lower the power hitch and and rotate the a frame latch back into place and lock it with the lock pin. Once the a frame latch it out of the way it will go right up. The latch feature is only used to draw the plow into place so the 2 main pins will go in. I have only ever used the draw latch twice since 2003. It will pull the plow into place just fine with out it. If the pins are not quite lined up it's real easy to just pull the plow what ever way it needs to go once it's off the ground. I hope this is what you were talking about !!!

Good luck ,shaun

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  3. blizzard2

blizzard2 Junior Member

A Frame Latch

The Latch I'm talking about is in the center of the hook arm in front of the push beem. There is a small pin that you pull to release it so it will latch onto 2 post on each side of the hook arm. I dont remember using this before. Also the illastrations on the plow say to engage this latch. I dont understand what it is for or why it is needed.

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That's exactly right. My "lock pin" disappeared last winter while plowing and the plow wouldn't raise. Took me a while to figure it out but was releaved when I discovered the problem. Put a small bolt and lock nut in it's place and won't use that feature again!

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

It's only used to pull the plow into place to mount it, you can drive all the way into it also and skip that step. After you draw the plow into place you put the latch back up.

6. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah you can disreguard that feature imo. It does pull the plow right to where in needs to be so the main pins will go right in but you really don't need it. If you do use it just make sure to move it back out of the way or else it won't let the plow raise off the ground.

, shaun