1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a frame center pin failure

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by joebob, Dec 30, 2008.

1. joebob

joebob Junior Member
    from ontario

I have four 810 blizzards all 2007's nothin but problems. The latest is the a frame center pin slot lets go and causes the blade to get so sloppy that the angle rams over extend and blow apart. Happening on all four! We have 30 plow trucks and the four with blizzard 810's are driven by the owners and operation managers, in other words the don't plow nearly as much snow as our other trucks and a failure such as this should not happen on blades so new. has anyone else had this happen, did you simply re weld and carry on or does any one have any great ideas on how to repair better and stronger?

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

It happened a lot less before they thinned out the metal on the A frames. There was more beef in the nose section and a gusset was being added to them also before the change over.

We relocate them and re weld them with a support plate top and bottom to help with the wear.

J

3. Jerre Heyer

It happened a lot less before they thinned out the metal on the A frames. There was more beef in the nose section and a gusset was being added to them also before the change over.

We relocate them and re weld them with a support plate top and bottom to help with the wear.

J

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I guess I'll just keep running my good ol' 99's with a few tweaks as needed. :)

5. Jerre Heyer

Johnny, Old Iron in this case is not always a bad thing.

J

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

J, Do you do anything to help with this on the Specials? Just wondering what I should look for on mine.

7. Jerre Heyer

We haven't been reinforcing them when they are new yet. Will probably start doing it soon though for several people. The big issue is that this would be more cost effective if it was done in production vs. after. Most of the mod's we've done / been doing were originally being looked at for all production models. Many issues that we had seen in the past were already incorporated years back. Some continue to be there and some have been removed.

For the most part when we see them tear out we address it with the customer at that point.

J

8. joebob

joebob Junior Member
    from ontario

Talked to our dealer this morning, Blizzard says they will warrenty three of the four if and maybe the fourth one as well. So hopefully this will solve our problems (stoppers, light harness, a frame), Switch to western? Apparently the resevour over the pump is causing all sorts of issues? Onward in the quest for the perfect snowplow.

Thanks for all the replies.

9. Jerre Heyer

Now why would that cause issues. Resivoir over the pump. LOL

10. joebob

joebob Junior Member
    from ontario

when the seals fail gravity causes the fluid to drain into the motor.

11. Jerre Heyer

Oh that's not a good thing? I thought that oil and electric worked well together. Of course the multiplexing makes for fun diagnostic to tell why things don't work either.

Just throw the box away and plug in another one I guess.

12. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Joebob,

Glad to here you have some support from yoour local dealer and DD stepped up to make things right.

After your post the other day just to be safe I had my 3 810's looked at while doing doing some cutting edge upgrades (pics to follow in another post). Need to adjust drop speed on one and the same one was MISSING the nut on the pivot bolt. The 2 other had a re-torque and a close inspection showed no damage no weld failures.

Eric did mention about 4 POST-DD power plows have been back for weld failures (center/pivot bolt area, angle cyc. mount, and lift ram mounting. Funny part of the conversation was how DD put out some info to dealers about 760/860 plows with failures for warranty repairs but had in the past refused warranty repair on 810's with same type of failures. As it was described to me it seemed the part was tac welded but never properly final welded. After a couple of uses it failed but no evidance during install and function test. He did say he was inspecting all welds prior to install and had send back a couple before they ever had been installed. Something all dealers should do instead of doing on site modifactions and charging the customer for something the MFG should of corrected before sending their product to market.

Same story as you when they wanted the damaged A frames shipped back to them BUT did not want to cover the warranty. SO the dealer replaceds the A fame charges the customer and sends the damage part back to DD. Oh, also after you effected some repairs to amke what you have work and not them can tell you how you have them modified so there will be no warranty. This is the overall issue I have will all plow modifacations. I expect the plow, or any other equipment I purchase be ready for the intended use "out of the box" there should be NO NEED to pay addtional cost on top of then you pay for the plow.

Was the same BS I experienced with Western A frame and Quadrant failure. Look, I see it this way WHY would the MFG want my "driver error/abuse damaged" part back in their possession? I own it, it is mine and if I am paying for the repair parts I am keeping the damaged parts. Maybe I can do some repairs for less then replacement and have a spare/back up. Unimount plow are well know for A frame damage and you can understand why they are not longer availble was with any MFG improvement they take into consideration continued failure int he field and make changes down the production line. I will say the Ultra mount design is awesome along with the design of the Contractor Grade Pro-Plus improvements.

Ron G.

13. joebob

joebob Junior Member
    from ontario

Our dealer is awesome. Having talked more with him I a was told that he has to get somewhat creative in order to get DD to warranty A frames. I hope he is simply not absorbing the cost himself.

14. Jerre Heyer

Funny thing with the nose piece on the A frames is that some of them are fully welded top and bottom and look inherently good.

Put them into service and the welds tear out. After you inspect them torn out it's found that the welds are cold welded and did not bond correctly. Most are covered under warranty but alot are found out of the warranty window. That's when the customer makes the decision to repair vs replace.

Been the same issue all along with them though.

J

15. joebob

joebob Junior Member
    from ontario

the new a frames look no different than the old. hopefully they have been welded correctly.In fact the ears where the back of the angle rams attach are even thinner than the a frame we are replacing, by 1/8 inch.

16. Jerre Heyer

Joebob, the issue is the thickness of the matl on the A frame box section too. IT also has been thinned up. Couple this with a cold weld and you've got issues down the road.

Glad to see that someone else picked up on the thinner cyl mounting points also. We're seeing them tear out and bend.

J

17. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

What were the first year DD units.

18. slade

slade Senior Member

Is there any id or serial number on the blizzard plows that would tell you if the plow is the older beefer ones or the dd lighter ones?

19. joebob

joebob Junior Member
    from ontario

Not that I know of but I will look at our two older models and compare them with the new ones to see if there is a way to tell. I would like to beef up our new warrantied A frames but it is tough to do because the bushing in which the centre pin goes through is an exact fit into the D frame. I could weld a thin metal (1/8 inch) square piece on the top and bottom of the a frame nose, but what it really needs is more reinforcing within the hollow portion of the nose in which the bushing sits. But you would have to take off the nose in order to get access to this void. Would it affect warranty in the future? I think it will be something we do when the warranty no longer applies. Tell tale signs that your a frame is failing is that when you take the blade off the truck the frame drops and is to low when you put it back on so that you have to lift up on the a frame in order to get it to line up. Also when you back drag it makes a banging noise when you lift the blade up, or if you have had an angle ram pull itself apart. You could always just take the blade apart and check it. You could also just sell the whole fleet and move to Florida, problem solved!

20. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

The move to Florida is still a few years away but in the plan.....

Ron G.