1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A frame angle

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ICky, Jan 27, 2000.

1. ICky

ICky Junior Member

When installing a used harness on a truck what should the A frame angle be? Local opinion ranges from &quot;the A Frame must be level with the ground or the plow will stick and grab&quot; to &quot;the A frame must angle up from the plow to the truck for proper weight transfer&quot; <p>I would be very interested in the opinions of the members of this forum.<p>and ....<p><br>Hi my name is Ian and I drive a 80 chev with an OLD Arctic plow <p>would never trade .....www.arcticsnowplows.com<p>ICky
  2. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Pretty level to slightly up to the truck on most plow makes.
  3. ICky

ICky Junior Member

Ok ....<br>this is the scoop<br>old plow (no idea what make), old chev (mid 70&quot;s) just installed the used plow. The A Frame runs from 6&quot; of clearance to 8 1/2&quot; in 32&quot; of run. Is this to much? It is more then my truck runs but ....????<br>Is this more than slightly uphill, Lazer?<p>The plow does tend to dig more than mine but I run shoes and this plow does not, so my (gravel) lots have built up a few inches of ice/packed snow that this plow tends to rip up ....<p>should it be fixed with shoes or rewelding the harness and lowering the A frame? Would really like to keep the ground clearance up by leaving the harness alone <p><br>Thanks<p>ICky<br>
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Icky<br>As long as the the ends of the plow arent raised off the ground when the plow is fully angled you should be ok. It may have a little more bite on gravel, but on asphalt it will be fine. It may even want to trip easier, but adjusting the tension on the trip springs.<br>If you do mostly gravel I would definitly invest in an urethane cutting edge. It will float over the gravel surface and add a liitle extra trip action to the blade.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
  5. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

That sounds fine. Plowking's right, as long as the cutting edge (once it's worn a little after a night of plowing) touches from side to side you're all set.<p>Bear in mind, that A-Frame &quot;levelness&quot; changes as the cutter edge wears.
  6. ChucksChevyPages

ChucksChevyPages Guest

Glad you found this forum ICky. You'll find lots of info here.<br>ICky is plowing with a 2wd truck. Man, I had a pic of his truck and trailer. ICky, send it to me again, and I'll post it on &quot;Our Trucks & Equipment&quot; page. Dino, this is a 3/4 ton truck ICky tows a huge trailer with, try 20' + long. Much like your 84, a REAL work truck. Lives in Canada, so he knows what winter is! Oh yeah, you can say ICky literally towed a house with his truck. A log cabin, up into the mountains. They should do a GM truck commercial with his truck in it.<br>Welcome to the group ICky!<p>~Chuck<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html