1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A few words on Plow Warranties

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johntwist, Nov 22, 2004.

1. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Lately, it's been suggested in a few threads that new Fisher, Western and Meyer plows may be better choices for members who are new to plowing because they have 2-year warranties, as opposed to Boss or Blizzard plows. Boss offers a one-year limited warranty. I don't know what Blizzard offers, but I know when Dave (BoltsIndus) sees this, he'll fill in that blank. The idea behind this seems to be that because you are new at plowing that you will, A) Damage your plow during your first year or two, and B) That the 2-year warranty will rescue you from your rookie mistakes.

Well, I'm posting this thread because I think that reasoning is strictly off the stable floor. I have a new Boss plow with a one-year warranty. Here listed are some key parts which are not covered, and this is right out of the book:

1. Expendable parts such as hoses, plow shoes, cutting edges, pins, nuts, bolts, blade guides, etc.

2. Snowplows or parts which have been subject to misuse, negligence, accident, improper installation, maintenance, care or storage.

Basically, what I'm getting at here is that my warranty only protects me from equipment breaking due to it being defective, not from me being a moron and ramming a curb at 20 miles an hour. My Boss dealer pretty much confirmed that. He can tell if something was defective or broken by abuse. I'm pretty sure that the warranties offered by the other manufacturers are similar, but if this is really an issue for you then check it out before you buy!

Your choice of a brand new plow is an important one. An investment of 2 to 4 thousand dollars means you want value for your dollar. I'm not pushing Boss just because I chose it, I'm just saying you should not write it off merely because it only has a one year warranty. It seems likely that any damage done to your equipment because you are "new to plowing" most likely will not be covered under your warranty, and therefore it doesn't much matter if it's one year, or two. You decide for yourselves, but an informed decision is better arrived at when based on facts, not conjecture.
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Very good. I did have this discussion with a customer a few weeks ago. Blizzard 1 year war. vs. the others 2 year. I asked him why he bought a GMC truck when Dodge gives a better warranty. He wrote the cheque on the spot. If parts on your plow are still wearing/ breaking in the second year then they will most likely continue after the 2 year warranty is over.
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

They can wear out and break after one year too. Manufacters cannot afford to give a two year warranties if they are prone to break done as it is just not cost effective. Maybe some dealers will pad the difference on plows with 1 year but you will pay for it in the price of the plow because somebody has to pay for it when it is broken. I have made two warranty "claims" on fisher plows. One was ffor a broken weld on a trip edge pivot. They fixed it and it is still fine 4 years later and the other was 2 of the 4 trip edge springs had a few of their coils collapse (bad tempering is what it looked like to me) when plow was nealy two year old. They replaced them and no further problems. Both were minor but both would have cost me to to have them fix it if it had only been a 1 year warranty. If you are new at this and do not know how to "fix" your own plow (hydralic and such) if it fails after a year, a two year factory warranty is piece of mind.
  4. Bolts Indus.

When we wish to respond to the original poster's thread is there a way that we can find out if it will offend anybody before we proceed?

Secondly, is it alright to still talk about this or does everybody already know everything there is to know about warranties? Don't want to waste anyones time.

Thirdly. Is it alright if I ignore and not read the threads that do not interest me or are a repeat? Would this offend the poster?

This is only my second season here so i'm still trying to learn everyones rules.

PS: I think someone should start a thread on forum manners. Ya know. How to be polite to each other etc. Anybody know enough about this subject to give it a whirl.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  5. Oh boy,
    Now we got Bolts in here so now he can give his input about how a Blizzard doesn't need WARRANTY!!!!!!!! :redbounce
  6. Bolts Indus.

I guess this means we are still allowed to talk on this. All good companies provide a warranty. That is why Blizzard provides a good warranty. At least 90%of the work I have done so far has been due to owner abuse and neglect. Very few problems with defects and Blizzard went above and beyond on them.
  7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Be nice my friend!
    We really all need to take a steap back and look at how we talk to one another. No need to put words in peoples mouths, bolts never said that blizzard does not need a warrenty.

Bolts Indus, i agree with you on the forum manners thread, plenty of things make me upset (like some posts in this thread), but on topic legitimate discussion is not something that bothers me. Everyone needs to grow up, way too much complaining going on here lately. Its only a few people that consistantly do it though, we know who they are.
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Fisher/ western have 2 season warranties, boss now has a 2 year warranty
    Not sure of the other brands, but IMO anything that is a manufactures defect will likely show up in the first year.
  9. Hey CJA,
    Who do you think you are? This has NOTHING to do with you at all. And I'm not gonna let some punk kid go around and tell me what to do. Thats good that you feel you need to stick up for Bolts, but you don't and shouldn't. Just look at his track record of his BLIZZARDS and that will explain it all. :gunsfiring:
  10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Blake, Bolts. did nothing wrong in this thread. Take it easy big boy. :nod:
  11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

You don't know me at all, so why would you assume an untruth that iam a "punk kid". You are 18 yourself. Just what is Bolts' "track record of blizzards", blizzard makes great plows, so why would that be a bad quailty in bolts. I have posted here alot more then you, i have known bolts on this site for a while. He is professional and to the point, its nice to have plow dealers on this site who can give us info. I don't think he slams his brand down our throats. As far as this being none of my business, how was it any of your business to attack bolts again unprevoked with this statement "Oh boy,
    Now we got Bolts in here so now he can give his input about how a Blizzard doesn't need WARRANTY!!!!!!!!" (end quote.) try to be nice or don't post, at all, i have seen other inappropriate posts by you also.

Jason, nothing personal at all, we have talked about this before, i really am not trying to attack you, just trying to maybe ask some qusetions here if you don't mind.

I replied because i think its sad when something legitimate is posted and people do nothing but say stuff against it. It was started for a valid reason, so why bash it, just let it go. You said you agreed with John Twist about the warrenty but was sick of hearing about it when tarkus brought it up. That shows that you are actually sick of the member, not the topic. I am not with out sin, i have probley done the same type of thing before myself, but i try to correct it. And i think it kind of crazy for this thread (of all threads) to be closed. It was not a problem (nothing personal at all) until you took exception to legitimate posts in a normal thread. Then plowboyblake had to take an unwarrented shot at bolts indus and his "track record" when he has never met the guy and barely knows him over the internet. I think someone in Nova Scotia maybe one of his satisified customers, could better speak to that then someone who lives thousands of miles away and has made inaccurate assumptions in other threads about his personal life. Its this crap that offends me and i feel the need to reply. Sorry i can't help myself. Blatent personal, baseless attacks should never be tolerated. So plowboyblake, look at some of the conversations between you and bolts and tell me who the punk kid is. Thats right they have been deleted because they crossed the line, they were inappropriate.

Jodi, if you get to reading this, i strongly advise that you not close the thread. It was a legitimate thread, if we keep closing threads and deleting constructive replys, that does not say much for the site. No need to delete every little disagreement, some people, like me, like to steap in and try to tell people when they are offending others, because of the lack of moderation here in the past. Keep the thread and all its replys, we can learn alot about the way in which we should not act. Just my .02
  12. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Junior Member

Some of the posts in this thread were removed, however what you said here cja is exactly how I feel.
    I'll be honest, I don't understand this over here in plowsite land. If someone disagrees with someone elses opinion, it seems like members over here get really upset about it. Wake up, that's how forums are supposed to work. We are here to bounce ideas off of each other, if you don't like someones opinion, well you can state why you don't agree with it, but I'm not going to delete threads over it. I also don't care if you don't like a particular member, learn to ignore their posts then.
    What kind of forum do we want here? Do we want, "I agree with that", "yes sir, you are right." "yep, exactly how I feel."
    My God, if someone says something different than how a few others feel, does that mean they are wrong????????
  13. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Junior Member

pm if you could please, I'd like to get familar with them,
  14. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Last I looked Meyers warranty was for 2 years on there POLY plows and 1 year on the steel ones. which if I read it right ment if you bought a POLY with a e-60 the e-60 pump was covered for 2 years but if you bought a steel blade the e-60 was only covered for 1 year.

15. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I just bought a 7'6" Boss super duty straight blade and it came with a 2 year warranty. Now if it would just snow a lot so I can use it I'll be happy. Breck :bluebounc
  16. intlco

intlco Senior Member

The warranties don't mean sh*t to me! I will buy plows based on how well constructed they are.
    Half the dealers won't even honor the warranty, and if they have to, they will put you on the back burner.
    A guy who goes in with CASH gets parts and service FASTER!
    The same goes with Auto/Trk Dealers.
    Last year, I bought all Dodge Rams with extended warrenties because the dealer said how good it was. First time I needed a repair, it took an act of congress to get service and they did the worst work I had seen. Then the Cummins had more and more problems and oil leaks and the dealers refused to fix the leaks because they said all trucks get dirty and leak oil.

I took them d*m Dodges down to Chevy and traded them for D-max's and did not take ext-warranty. So far, the D-max has been great, one needed a set of injectors at 18K and it took a big argument with GM to get injectors under warranty. After 1 month of b*tching, they put them in.
    Now I've got 30K on it and I'm not gonna bother with gettin an ext warranty. I'd rather pay for the repairs on the spot then have to fight with the dealer on getting something fixed.

If you guys wanna buy plows based on warranty, then you should get the SnoWay with 5 years.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  17. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a meyers because I knew it was going to break, plowing with a meyers is not like interacting with it..... you almost have to fool it into doing what you want it to do, and when it does brean( which it will) atleast the parts are cheap :p :p
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  18. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

The only reason I have run Meyers is because the first one was a Meyers and I thought they should all be the same. I have sense seen the light, oops I meen the RED.
  19. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

yea me too, the next one will be a blizzard LT760 pumpkin: no more yellow plows!