1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A few thoughts on our business...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Jan 5, 2006.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

About the only things we have in common is.
    Making lots of money
    Plowing snow
    Ribbing each other
    After that it's
    Ford or Chevy or Dodge or what ever
    vplow or straight
    per plow or inch or seasonal
    1,2,3 inch trigger
    salting or no salting
    lots of snow or no snow
    driveways or commercial
    auto or manual
    good client or bad
    stop plowing if money is not paid by due date or give more time
    guys in the north foot of snow no big deal ,guys in the south call out the national guard and close the town down.
    Anything else?
    Oh ya, you guys up in Alaska you can keep your -50

Just a thought :salute:

2. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Yea, great thread, We probably have more in common then alot of brothers!!!! :drinkup:

3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Yeah, I agree with everything listed except the whole lotta money one.I have been doing this for 6 years and can say with alot of conviction that you will survive doing the snow thing but I would not classify it as making a whole lot of money. My .02 cents.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's for sure. Started getting records together for taxes. When my wife saw what I'd made last year, she went "Wow" until she saw the related expenses. Then she said "Well, it does give you something to keep busy".

5. mole

mole Senior Member

what about getting out of a warm bed and getting into a freezing truck.
    watching the weather channel non stop even when it's not going to snow.

6. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Or how about a clear forecast and actually getting a restful sleep until you wake up at 6:00Am to find a inch of snow on the ground. That has been probably the most aggravating plow outings for me in a while. The forecasters are good ones for not even mentioning their screwup because to most it is insignificant.Tell that to my business accounts that have 1 inch triggers and forbid that they get to work and have to trudge through an inch of snow on thw walk.This has been my most frustrating year so far and it is because all of the little nagging complaints. You can just never make everybody happy and especially when it comes time to pay. Million dollar business but quibble over a lousy hundred bucks or whatever.

7. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

It is still true today that:

I said this in 2002 to some unhappy person on this site, and it bears repeating when you plowmen start to get down in the dumps about our profession:

"plowing snow isn't rocket science" huh, maybe for you because you don't understand the implications of what you are doing. Maybe you don't understand how vital snow plowing is to this country's infrastructure. Maybe you don't understand that your fire truck driver can't get to your house on fire if the road isn't plowed. Maybe you don't realize that the ambulance driver cannot save your grandfather from his heart attack shoveling his driveway because the amubulance can't make it up your hill. Maybe you never jerked a car with a mother and children out of a snow bank in the middle of the night. Maybe you didn't know the rockets and bombs don't get to the base if the road is closed due to snow. And maybe you didn't know that national defense is dependant on free movement on our interstate highway system which was developed during the era of "I like Ike" in the 1950's.

And maybe you never had a major screw up and landed sideways on a 30 degree slope at 3 am and had to haul your truck up the hill all by your own wits with a come along, chain and snatch block.

Maybe you don't know that PLOWMEN are the most honorable profession in the free world, entreprenuers and self reliant people who brave the worst cold and wet weather usually by themselves so some silly rocket scientist can drive to Dunkin Donuts in the middle of a blinding snowstorm for a buy one get one free plain donut and coffee. Who do you think opened the roads in North Carolina three weeks ago so the power crews could get in to re-wire the power lines so people wouldn't freeze in their homes? Certainly not some rocket scientist.

You are right, it isn't rocket science, cuz plowmen are doing some good in the world right in our own hometowns.

PLOWMEN OF AMERICA, I SALUTE YOU !!

#12 12-18-2002, 09:05

So Plowmen, take heart, we by our chosen profession, are in charge of hometown America for four months of the year. No other group of independant entrepreneurs has that much clout in our society.

8. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

I couldn't have put it any better myself, keep up the good work guys.

9. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

People may not notice or understand what snow contractors have to go thru, but I don't know what else I could do and make this much money legally.

10. norrod

norrod Senior Member

How about catching the 11:00pm weather forecast, no snow in sight. Still wake up at 4:00am to make sure all is well. Go back to sleep only to have wife wake you at 6:30 to say "Hey honey, did you know it is snowing really hard?" Or being awaken by the town plow's E-Brake as he reaches our dead-end street !!! Not-Good . Never seen me move so fast :)

11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Might as well make these there own forums since that is what most threads turn into:p

12. norrod

norrod Senior Member

then we'll have to add...

* anyone charging less then me is a lowballer

* anyone that wins an account I had last year is a thief

:)

13. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

How true you are about the fire engine, I'm on the fire dept and last year we had a house burn down($250,000) because of the snow and ice on the hilly drive. And the year before that we could not get to another house because of a unplowed icy road and drive, it burnt down also($475,000)

14. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Is there a thread anywhere that someone can post that shows what we go through, like scenarios of a plow driver. I've always wanted to keep a copy of something like that when you get that occasional person saying you want how much? Why so much? I'd just love to hand them a copy and give them some reading for the evening. Not that I would win them over as a customer, but just to let them realize what we go through, like sleepless nights, 30 hours of plowing with a one hour nap, the $30,000 in equipment that we have, the extra liability insurance, how we wake up every hour just to see the forecast, etc. Anybody?

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The issue of the fire truck is one I use when I talk to people here. We have a lot of part time residents who live only live here in the summer. Then they won't keep their private roads clear or only when they're coming up here for hunting, holidays etc. Most are not aware that they are putting their multi-million dollar properties at risk. If it catches fire and the fire truck is unable to respond due to an unplowed road, their insurance may not pay the claim. Likewise, if there is water damage due to frozen pipes which burst because it was left unheated, the insurance is may not pay the claim.