1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a few simple questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jawnniedarko, Dec 5, 2006.

1. jawnniedarko

jawnniedarko Junior Member

everyone on here seems so helpful so i figured id register before the snow hits. i just bought an 06 ford f-350 6.0 diesel with the new front suspension design, reg cab, single rear wheels, and an 8' bed.

i have no idea about plowing and im about to start so i was wondering if i could get a few opinions.

1. what type of plow should i get. ive been looking at the fisher 8' HD....V-style? or no. il be doing a few small parking lots, maybe some res. with help from my bobcat in the parking lots....how does the stronger, more reinforced x-bracing from fisher benefit a plow?

2. if i'm slow and careful, and use my head, will this damage my new truck in any way?

3. how much balast should i use? the payload rating is 4200 lb.

4. (most importantly) i just read in another forum that plowing with a truck like mine; a heavy front-ended diesel, and a 8' bed would be unwise, and isnt recommended by many plow manufacturers with this setup. although, that forum was referring to a 97 f-250 diesel.

thanks, fellas for any and all help/info

2. kingplow

kingplow Member

all i know is usually it will void your warrenty on your drivtrain if you put a plow on it depending on you dealer you should have bought it with a plow might have made it easyer we plowed with the same truck but was gasser and it worked fine just put some weight in the back

3. jawnniedarko

welp, thanks for that....il hit ford tomorrow. judging by the stiffness, the suspension travel in the front end, and just the size of those springs, i cant see how adding 1000# would damage them at all. i could always be wrong though.

anyone have anything more specific to add?

4. jawnniedarko

ok well i went to the ford dealer earlier today and a salesperson pointed out that i have the snow plow prep package (heavier front springs i guess) so im in the clear for that, few!

any other info will still help, thanks

5. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

1. what type of plow should i get. ive been looking at the fisher 8' HD....V-style? or no. il be doing a few small parking lots, maybe some res. with help from my bobcat in the parking lots....how does the stronger, more reinforced x-bracing from fisher benefit a plow?

2. if i'm slow and careful, and use my head, will this damage my new truck in any way?

3. how much balast should i use? the payload rating is 4200 lb.

4. (most importantly) i just read in another forum that plowing with a truck like mine; a heavy front-ended diesel, and a 8' bed would be unwise, and isnt recommended by many plow manufacturers with this setup. although, that forum was referring to a 97 f-250 diesel.

jawnniedarko,

The Fisher 8' HD is great for that truck. However, it's it up to you on whether or not you want a straight blade or V-plow. I have an older conventional Fisher 8' HD on my 96 f250 and really like it. It's heavy and it does a great job. I added on Pro-Wings to give my plow a wider base for some of the parking lots I do but for residential I find that I would prefer the straight blade without the wings. I don't know much about the X bracing on the Fisher but the bracing on my plow has had no issues and is just as good as it was when it was originally purchased in 1996.

In regards to balast for your truck, you need to know what the weight of your plow will be on the front to be able to offset the rear. When I am hooked up to the plow my truck only lowers in the front about 3/4". I had an additional leaf added to my springs a few years back. I usually put 420 to 500 pounds of sand tubes in the back of my truck in addition to the weight of my rail over tool boxes with my tools in them. With the extra weight I have never really had any issue while driving.

Lastly, when it comes to damaging you truck. There is always opportunity to damage you truck. Make sure you have looked at the properties that you are going to plow for any obstructions you may have while plowing that could affect your truck. If you have to take a picture of the lot or mark areas where you should be a little more cautious and slow down when in that area. The only issues I have with my truck in regards to damage is every couple years I have to replace the ball joints, tie rods and etc. Which I guess is a common repair for the 96 F250 gasser.

I hope this helps you out a little.
    BJH Snow

6. jawnniedarko

thanks for taking out the time, man that did help alot. so far ive got a friendly's parking lot, and two small insurance company parking lots all within 1/8 of a mile of eachother, which is convenient. we used to just drive the bobcat through main street to each one haha.

my mechanic tells me that res. plowing is a pain since chasing money becomes a big issue

anyone know of a good in-bed sander? maybe il buy one next season. or even this season if i can find enough work for it. possibly a trailer hitch mounted one?