1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A few RT-1 Questions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 82F100SWB, Nov 3, 2008.

1. 82F100SWB

82F100SWB Junior Member

I picked myself up a 92 Dodge W250 with an 8'2" RT-1 V plow last spring, along with the 89 W250 the plow started life on. I just finally managed to get the second truck and the blade for my truck home today. I hadn't planned on doing any commercial plowing this season, so, I wasn't really in a rush to get it home, but, my current unexpected employment situation leaves me with lots of time to push snow.
    Anyhow, I have a broken cutting edge on the left wing, and while not worn out, the edges are worn enough that replacing just one would be counterproductive. Are the RT-2 edges the same other than the larger bolt holes? I'm sure that this blade has had the edges replaced somewhat recently, and may already have been drilled to suit. I'd ask the P/O but, he's away hunting for the next 2 weeks, and I'd like to get stuff ordered right away. The new style edges with the curb protectors sure would be nice, but, they're also pretty expensive for something that will need to be cut to fit.
    Also, the left wing drifts back just going down the road with the truck and the blade in the air, which it didn't do until I had cycled it a few times.
    I don't have any leaks evident, so, I'm assuming that I may need to give the valve bank a good cleaning or a relief valve is stuck, the RH wing isn't moving, and I don't think the hoist cylinder is either. Does anyone have a diagram as to which solenoid does what?
    Better yet, is literature on the RT-1 still available from Boss?

Am I correct in assuming that the RT-1 uses the same cylinders as Boss lists for pre '06 plows on their site? I'd like to upgrade to smart locks when money allows. I'm also going to get rid of the rocker switch controller, it's very frustrating to use when you're used to using a smart touch.
    The only other thing is I don't have any plow lights, but, that's a whole different conversation.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The RT1 and RT2 edges both use 1/2" bolts for edge attachment. It's the RT3's that use the larger 5/8" bolts. You can use either one if you drill the holes in the wings to 5/8" for the RT3's...or in addition, trim/modify the inner sections of the wings and use the most current formed edges as well.

As you suspect the drifting wing is likely a valve or O-ring issue due to it's age. You can easily swap the valves side to side to see if the wing issue changes sides as well. Could also be a fluid contamination problem too...once you start into it you'll find out for sure.

For valve identification simply go by the color codes on the coil wires as follows...

White - Lift
    Orange - Down
    Red - R wing out
    Green - R wing in
    Blue - L wing out
    Red/black - L wing in

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008