1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a few questions on tailgate spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ddukes, Jan 16, 2011.

1. ddukes

ddukes Junior Member

any help would be appreciated. dont post much but read every day. going to get into salting at somepoint this winter, or the following for sure. looking at tailgate spreaders, and have narrowed it to possibly 2. western 2000 or saltdogg tgs07. anyone have any thoughts on the two. i was leaning toward the saltdogg, because they "say" with the horizontal auger you can run any product that a v box can run. however western has in my opinion and alot of guys on here, very good products. any thoughts or plus/minus anyone can give me would be appreciated. also may sound stupid, but how do you guys determine how much product you actually put out, or is it a storm specific or trial and error type thing. thank you in advance for any info or advice
  2. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

easy witha tailgate spreader

Measure your lots to get an average amount of deicer that it will take. This will be your starting point knowing that variables change rates.

Load your spreader per job site if you are spreading bagged material. Makes it easy to keep it straight until you do something different.

Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions. We run several tailgate spreaders and have for several years.

Good luck.
  3. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Been running the tgs07 for the season thus far, meaning 3 storms. I have nothing bad to say about it. It spreads very good, vibrates the hell out the material so it never has a flow problem.

The one issue I have is that it has since new given me a vibrator disconnected code, but it is connected and it does work so I never persued it. I have also changed sand/salt suppliers and have had some chunks bind up the auger whicj got rectified quickly with some manual movement of the spinner back and forth breaking it up. I will be returning to the old supplier today as I never had issues with his stuff.

I like how it mounts, it is possible for one guy to remove it and re install it. Kinda akward to do but I do it. 3 plug in connections and you ready to spread.
  4. ddukes

ddukes Junior Member

Thanks guys. Hope to here a few more reviews from the field. I think I'm leaning more toward saltdogg as of now
  5. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Go with the SALTDOGG. I have been running the TGS06 this season and am happy with it. I run Bulk salt through it, no issued with the vibrator, keep out the big chunks, it works great.
  6. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

I have a Western 2000 swing away that I bought used. Apparantly one y/o at purchase. I would rather not have a variable speed controller - $300 if it goes bad. The unit has a belt with a drive and driven pulley anchored with set screws which I have had to reset because it wouldn't spin. Would rather not have a belt or set screws. Look at a parts manual b4 purchase to see what kind of problems you are in for. Ease of taking on and off. Hopper strength - to hold the bags b4 cutting and get one that sits even and not above the top of the tailgate so it doesn't block your view.
  7. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

i run snow ex and western tailgate salters with bag sal tnever had 1 let me down if i was going to run bulk i could add vibrater and would probubly work but if i was going to buy new for bulk salt and money was not a problem i would buy snowex sp 1575 or sp1875 bulk pro or western pro flow 2 i have had good luck with all mine but i rince out after every event never leave salt in them allways oil down before put in dry storage for off season i have not had the bulk spreader im telling you about but i no my outher spreader work great im looking into bulk next year but i run throught 4 skids of salt every event im getting tired and at 47 a little old to hump 200 50 lb bags into hoppers so i have decided to build bulk salt bin buy bulk spreader and let my bobcat do the loading thinking of eaither snowex v pro 7550 or 8500 or western tonado or truckcraft tc tailgate spreader for my dump insert not sure also salt use depends on how cold it is how good you plow and how much ice is their but most of time you use the same amount untill you get alot of ice or its getting down to low for salt to work then you have to add calseum cloride is what we do but where im at you cant just pull up and buy bulk salt you have to by 20 tons and have it trucked to site and dump out thats why i been useing bag but over the last 5 years i have got so busyi need to go bulk sometimes when it snows i have been out for 48 hours straight . look around if your just starting out you can find a good used spreader you will no if its junk or not go look at new 1 first then start looking for used you will be able to tell how much use they have had you have people buy new plow new spreaders go out try it they find they hate it or they cant make anuff money so they sell their stuff happens all the time try craigslist and ebay ebay has some great deals now on new western 1000 spreader and the 2500 1000 bucks control and harness hitch mount i paid i think 1600 for my western 1000 new and my snowex 575 was 1250 new
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  8. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I run several different brands-never had much trouble with any of them. A word of caution, look at the height once mounted to truck. My Snow-way spreaders sit higher, good to not back into things, but the 60 or 61st bag seems real heavy! I have added a drop hitch adapter, but moves the spreader out about 8" more inches.

All that said, I prefer Snowex.
  9. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

If your going to buy one get the western pro flow2 its a two stage it works great with salt sand or salt/sand mix