1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A few questions about a rear deck set up

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Chandlerarms, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Chandlerarms

Chandlerarms Senior Member

Hello. I have a few questions. I am looking for a simple clean rear deck LED set up. I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado. The easiest (for me) would be something like a strobesNmore E44 series Super LED with suction cup mount & cigarette lighter plug (which the E44 does not have). Is ther such a unit? Instead of useing brackets to the headliner (option # 2), can I purchase suction cups seperatly? Most people say it is fairly easy to hard wire a unit, but I am trying to find some basic install directions with pics to help me visualize what needs to be done. Any good links out there?

Also - The rear glass is tinted (factory) - how much will it dull the light output (amber)?

Another option would be to add amber strobes to the rear cargo lights, but I am affraid I would be getting too over my head. I have read some posts with this set up, but with no good directions on how to do it (step by step).

Thanks for any feedback!

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Couldn't you put strobes or leds in the amber turn signals of the tail lights? That would provide more lower "eye level" warning and it'd be more visable off axis. (If one were standing off to the side of the truck). Just a thought.
  3. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Here is my led bar i got from strobesnmore . as you can see its very bright through the tinted rear window on my 05 2500HD. I don't think you need to be worried about losing any light.

4. Chandlerarms

Maleko- how did you install that kit? How did you mount it and route the cable?
  5. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I made some brackets that i bolted to the ceiling of the cab under the headliner, then bolted the brackets that came with the lights to the brackets i made.
    Actually the brackets I'm speaking about are just thick L- Brackets you can buy anywhere.
    I wanted something that wasn't going to be shaking around.
    I ran the wire down along the rear trim piece along the rear window then under the carpet to the front of the truck.

I remove the light in the winter because i put a sander in my truck and it kinda blocks the light. So i just mount it to my backrack for the winter.

6. Chandlerarms

What would be an easier install and look nicer?

Interior LED bar. Do you have to remove the entire headliner to attach brackets & hide the wire along the side and under the carpet.?

A pair a strobesnmore hide-a-way E 44 Series that I would put in (clear reverse light in amber?) and run the cable along the underbody frame to battery then interior switch?
  7. Chandlerarms

Think I might go with the StrobesNmore E series hide aways. I just routed the cable for the tail gate spreader so all's I have to do is follow that path and into the cab I'd like something as bright as possible. And I want to go amber. Is it best to put them in the amber hazard light or the clear reverse lens?