1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A few problems with my plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smitty58, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

This is my 1st year so I'm in need of some help. First problem, the plow is slow to respond left and right. Second problem, can you do something to help keep the snow from sticking so much to the plow Third problem, how do some plows seem to get down to the surface better than others. (mine is not)
    Fourth problem which is actually a jeep problem, I'm having a real hard time shifting the transfer case. It' extremly hard to get in and out of 4 low.

Any advice for this rookie is greatly appreciated.

2. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:waving: hey smitty, ok first off what type of plow are we talking about?

as for the plow not anglinging quick enough it can be a number of things, low fluid, packing nuts too tight, weak pump. brand of plow would be a hugh help.

as far as the snow sticking, try spraying some non stick cooking oil to the bland.

as far as the plow not scraping well, try installing a new cutting edge always works wonders for me.

and my 4 low is always tough also. BUT i dont ever remember plowing in 4 low, you may want to try reg. 4 wheel drive. tony

3. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

General Grounds- thanks, its a meyer 6 1/2. I bought it used so I don't know a lot about it. I'll check the fluid and try the trick on the blade. As for the 4 low, we got 12-20" of snow plus the city plows dumping more in front of drives ,so I could not plow in high.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

On monday we had trouble moving the T case lever on our 89 K 3500, crawled under and sprayed all the linkages with PB blaster. Works like a charm now.

5. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

we have a 1980 jeep CJ at the shop and it can be tempermental to shift in and out of 4wd as well, I would like to hear some advice on this one

dont really bother driving it too much to worry about it

and like someone said- try a new cutting edge or adjusting the plow shoes

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If a new cutting edge isn't working for you, then your attack angle on the plow could be too high. i.e. your jeep may be too tall. Most likely it is just a light plow at 6.5'. The lighter the plow the less it will cut (to a degree.)

7. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

My Jeep does have a 3 1/2" lift on it so maybe that is creating the wrong attack angle. I did have a thought of it being too light so I put a 80 lb bag of salt across the supports. Than I got scared about the extra weight laying on it and took it back off. Would that extra weight hurt it? It does not have any shoes on it now, do I need them?

8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Also, when you're moving that much snow like that, especially with a light-duty vehicle, you will want to first scrape some of the top, then move the rest of it. This will be a much lighter load on your tranny and many other components.