1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A few observations about my new Wideout

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mcfly89, Nov 29, 2011.

1. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

While installing the angle ram cotter pins, I noticed where the blade attaches to the sector (factory attached) had no cotter pins at all!! that would SUCK for the new wideout to half fall off of the sector while cruising down the road at 45 mph. I wonder if the warranty would cover THAT? lol.

if these things are assembled and tested at the factory, why dont they set the drop speed at a reasonable level right outta the box?

The person who designed the ;plow shoe brackets for the wideout musta been on crack. you cant get any type of ratcheting anything in there to tighten the nut, nor can you get anything in there that will work with a torque wrench, so the torque specs are pretty silly.

its finally assembled and ready to plow, now LET IT SNOW!!
  2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

3. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

coming soon :)
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I agree completely with the drop speed complaint. I know it's an easy adjustment but in order to get it right you go through the "guillotine stage" for the first few cycles. You can really damage your shop floor if you're not ready for it.
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

When I build plows I always screw the quill to the bottom and then after lifting it the first time it won't go down until I turn the screw out a bit. This way my shop floor doesn't get smashed. I don't believe they run the assemblies up at the factory, only the hydraulic units without rams. The rams are never filled with oil so this is obviously not done. There are many things done at the factory that would indicate poor quality control. We go over them with a fine tooth comb before letting them go out the door just to be sure things are right and still they come back with different issues to add to the list of things we have to check. My biggest beef is with the sanders. The ice breakers are never wired correctly, the choke light switched are always connected backwards so the choke light comes on when is should be off and vise versa. On my own Wide-out I had valve problems the first time I used it, probably metal shavings stuck in it. But as I was fixing that I noticed that the wires connecting to the down valve coil were not pushed on the coil correctly. When I used to build the plows from scratch I made sure each connection was right but now that they are coming in the big box a lot of these issues are overlooked. I also find that the hoses are often carelessly installed. When you do the last turn tightening the hoses to the fitting you have to hold the hose from turning or they wind up and contort. The factory boys can't be bothered to watch for this. They also don't run the hoses according to their own diagrams. Consistancy and quality control are not Western's strong points but they are good for replacing bad componenets when they do screw up. I would love to spend a couple weeks at the factory to see who is doing the work and how much they are supervized. I don't think it would take much to improve the level of quality control. Canning a few careless people has an amazing effect on the others. Unless of course it's a union shop in which case there is no hope.
  6. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

I have read posts on the forums here about guys having a wide-out falling off cruising down the road.
  7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have seen very old, poorly serviced uni-mounts break the vehicle side mounts and try to go under the trucks but I have never, ever heard of an ultra-mount of any kind falling off. I can see it happening if the operator is too stupid to latch it on properly but that has nothing to do with the model. The equipment is only as good as the operator / maintainer. I would like to see the thread that talks about that.
  8. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I've installed a dozen new Wideouts this year and there wasn't one that didn't have something wrong.
    Mostly sticky, dirty valves...that just shouldn't happen....jmo
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't believe it's a Union shop. I'll have to ask around.