1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A Few More Magic Questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FIREMAN Q, Jan 10, 2006.

1. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

So I have been using magic this year. This is my first year using it so I really don't have much to compare it to other than the other parking lots in my area. I have noticed that my lots were a lot cleaner than some of the other ones. Glad I am using it plus my customers like the fact that there is no sand mess.

With that said I have a few more questions about it. I am using the pretreated rock salt. they say that magic won't burn the grass and since regular rock salt burns the grass and what not... wouldn't this also burn the grass????

Also I have been toying with the idea to spray my sidewalks with liquid using a sprayer...Is there anyone out there that uses the magic salt on the lots and sprays their walks...I just can't figure if it would be worth using 2 separate applications...I would think if you get a back pack sprayer and fill it up that it would be easier on the shovel crew instead of carrying bags or buckets(if don't use spreaders)...is it even worth the $$$. I just have one condo complex(6 buildings) this year and one other lot that needs the walks done. It takes the side walk crew about 2-4 hours...

thanks in advance

BS thanks for the magic test you posted. It was good to see the difference

2. ctsnowandice

ctsnowandice Junior Member

Hey Fireman Q...
    We are a Magic distributor and have alot of experience with Magic Salt and Magic-0. First, let me say that NO, the treated rock salt is NOT corrosive. Because it is treated with Distillers Solubles, the corrosion is reduced by up to 98%. The solubles are also what give Magic its low freezing point, low BOD, etc. Also, it is cheaper to treat (or pretreat) all of your areas with liquid and it achieves the same thing as the treated rock salt. As the salt melts, it leaves the distillers solubles on the pavement to break the bond between the ice and the pavement...if you pretreated the lot ( or sidewalks) with the liquid, it would do the same thing. However, rule of thumb is that if you get a storm that is 2-5 inches, you should use the treated salt, as it will melt off the majority of the snow..thus, less to shovel/plow. If the storm is 6 inches plus, use the liquid as it will not melt a lot of snow, but will prevent any packing. It also depends on the condo association and what they want you to use.. we have alot of customers who do not want any granulars at all. But in my opinion, I think the Magic liquid (Magic-0) is the most unique product that they make.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

no problem with the pictures.

another member here (RacerBren) gave me the idea of using a 4gal electric backpack sprayer for doing walks/steps. I had originally planned on using a reel/hose setup off the tank, however winding up the hose after each app would certainly be time consuming. I had great results with just a handheld sprayer and a flat-tip nozzle (no pictures/snow yet lately :()