1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A few issues. 2000 Silv. 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chcav1218, Aug 17, 2009.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Hey guys, i've been saving up some money it will soon be that time of year, aka as fall, up here in new england. With that in mind I've been thinking about what needs to be fixed on the truck and I have a few issues in mind.

1. When breaking at highway speeds, the steering wheel wobbles and shakes in my hand from side to side. I've lifted the wheels off the ground and tried moving them around to check the ball joints and bearings but everything seems to be ok. I also looked at the tie rod ends and any other bushings I could see and again, everything looked ok. he truck has new tires and has recently been aligned and balanced. Is there and way I can visually tell if one of the ball joints is bad? What else should I take a look at?

2. The truck has all new breaks rotors and pads, but I the breaks squeak terribly. On outter side of the rear left rotor I can see what looks to be a very light score on the outter edge of the rotor. I'm not very familiar with breaks so any help here would be aprreciated.

3. Lastly, it seems like a half a leak in the front differential. Should I have this looked at or should I just check the fluid level and keep and eye on it?

Thanks in advance for the help guys

2. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

A shaking steering wheel only when braking is a sure sign that there is something wrong with the front brakes. Either the rotors have thickness variation, or they arent turning "true" (that can be from rust buildup under the "hat" of the rotor, or a bent hub flange, or even a poorly made rotor. If the pads and rotors are all new, take it back to whoever did it, because something isn't right. Same for your second complaint. If you paid for new brakes, they should make it right.

If it were me, I'd fix whatever is leaking soon. That way, you can make sure it is fixed before the snow comes. Very unpleasant to have to crawl under a truck dripping slush and salty water all over you.

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

ok snew development here. the movement in the steering wheel occurs even when i'm not breaking now, and my steering seems kind of loose. everything still seems good when i lift it up. whats the deal?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You've got something worn in the steering Chris. Could be anything from a tie rod to a pitman arm so you'll have to check it all.

And to do that you need to leave the truck on the ground so that there's resistance on the steering components while your helper moves the wheel back and forth to check for play. Helps to see better if your remove the forward skid plate too (if it's still on there). I'll bet you're going to find something somewhere in the steering thats well out of spec.

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

sounds like a plan

6. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I ended up having both my pitman and idler arms changed, and added a support to each that spreads the load to both sides of the joint. I dont recall the brand of these supports but i will try to search for it. They were recommended by my mechanic and are a good idea if you will be plowing. He told me they are a bit of a weak ling in the front ends of these trucks. The squealing of the brakes may be due to the brand. I had mine done a while ago and they made so much noise it was ridiculous. I had him switch them to the OEM GM part (which i probably should have done in the first place) and no more noise. good luck- chris

7. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I'm going to investigate these idler arm and the pitman arm later. i think this very well may be the issue. When I had my new tires installed at Pep Boys the tech said the idler arm was giving him trouble when he attempted to align the truck, but when I brought it to my mechanic he had no trouble getting it lined up. It have gotten worse over the past two months or so. My steering seems kind off loose which also leads me to believe it could be these parts

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Well I just climbed under the truck with a roll of paper towels and a flashlight to do some looking around until I can have one of my buddies come give me a hand checking the pitman and idler arms. When I was looking at the tie rods i saw a lot of excess grease, so I wiped it off and the gave the rubber boots a squeeze. When I did this, grease oozed out of the boots at the seals. I snapped a picture with my cell phone. Does this mean I need to replace them or just fill them back up with grease?

[​IMG]

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The grease is normal Chris, it's simply the excess that squeezes out, and unless the tie rod has play in it it's just fine as is.

10. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

ok, my friend will be over tomorow to work the wheel while i look around.