1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A few brine questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Doug8949, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Doug8949

Doug8949 Member

If you watch this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCISUte2IwE he makes brine to 23.5% salinity. I worked in the oil field and production water is 23% salinity also and if it gets on grass it kills it. Here is my question.

1. How do you make brine not kill grass from run off.

2. What do you use instead if brine kills grass.

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Sand? I never have any problem with grass kill. Perhaps I dont over apply? The only problem with grass kill I have had was because the snow I piled contained the melt from the driveway and I piled the snow in the same place every time I plowed.

If 1,000 pounds of rock salt treat 1 acre, then the same rock salt can be converted to a 23.5% salt brine which can then treat 4+ acres. Now instead of using 1,000 pounds per acre you are only using 250 pounds per acre.?

Thanks for watching my video.

3. Doug8949

Doug8949 Member

Can I ask what you use for sidewalk applications and what do you mean sand.

4. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

He was referring to replacing salt with sand altogether.

Michael

5. Kubota 8540

Not using any chlorides at all. Sand. I use salt brine and calcium chloride. When using liquid salt brine I'm already using 75% less salt. How could any damage done by the brine compare with straight rock salt?

6. Doug8949

Doug8949 Member

Thanks a lot guys

7. Kubota 8540

I don't feel I answered your question completely. There are a few products that are suppose to be grass friendly. I think one I seen was a citrus base. Cant remember the name. Pricey. I can't tell you how they perform though.

8. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Just give yourself some lee-way when spraying because liquids are going to move across the pavement. Maybe a foot away from the grass line?

Michael