1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A fair plow rate is...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well it looks like I might be keeping our 94 for a back up truck or... I just hired a guy for side walks and he has plow experience so I might put him in it so I don't have to sub anything out out. Around here we are getting between $25.00(for a newbi) and $35.00 with a few years of experience with your own truck. If this guy I just hired agrees to plow what do you think a fair price per hour might be. (he's in my truck,my gas,my salt). Thanks in advance.

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

A driver around here only gets $10.00 - $15.00 depending on experience.

3. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Too little not good

An hourly rate of 10-15 is good. A set price for a pre determined amount of lots with some kind of bonus at the end of the year for no accidents is an idea. I started that last year and it cut down on abuse and picked up productivity. That way they are not milking the clock and they have some incentive not to wreck your truck.
    Just my .02

4. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I read the post 3 times but I know it is late I could still be wrong but didn't you say A guy around here gets 25 for newbi to 35 dollars with exp a hour with your own truck? That is low if I read it right. I am in Indianapolis and they pay anywhere from 55 for the lowest all the way up to 75 . I just think for 35 dollars running your own truck insurance,fuel,wear and tear that sounds low. Come to indy I will give you 40 a hour in your own truck :D

RCGM
    Brad

5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Here you get $10 per foot per hour for your own equipment. I get $85 an hour for my 8'6" truck.

Driving a truck for someone you are looking at $15-$25. And a wheel loader up to $35-$40

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

my boys make $16 per hour 7am-7pm and $24 per hour 7pm-7am (using our equiptment). my skidloader sub gets $50 per hour. it's going to take more than $10 per hour to get a guy away from warm, naked girlfriend in the middle of the night.

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

what do the sidewalk boys get? $7.50?

8. Brian Young

Sidewalk guys are getting from 13-18 with a snow blower and 18-25 with a quad. Thats why I figured 15 for both is a good number.

9. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Man, if an experienced driver up here only made $15 an hour, thered be no experienced drivers on the road. Newer drivers start at $15. Anyone with experience using someone elses truck is getting at least $23

10. Brian Young

Well its all about location. Even on "Lawnsite" the prices vary so much for doing lawns from state to state. It really all depends on where you are at, yeah experienced plower's with their own truck are making around $30.00/hr and sidewalk guys with a shovel or snow blower are making between $13.00-$18.00/hr.

11. SwiftSnow&Salt

SwiftSnow&Salt Member

driver of my trucks - $20.00 - $30.00 depending on experience..

blower/shoveler - $12.00 - $15.00 depending on reliability

12. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

Here in Kentucky, last year I was charging $80.00 per hour and getting pretty much all the business I could handle. My truck,my gas, my insurance.....

13. DJ Contracting

Well like it was said it all depends on your area. My truck, my insurance ,my gas, my shovel, my snowblower, my salt spreaders, my salt, I have to repair/replace/maintain all equipment. THATS ALL THEY GET. For you guys that drive somebody else's truck get out and buy your own and see where the cost goes, I'm sure that you don't repair, or replace anything that got broke put gas in, or pay part of the insurance. So why should I pay somebody twenty to thirty dollars per hr. to drive my truck.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  14. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I pay 20% of what the truck makes each day barring no accidents. Anything he hits comes out of his pay (Minor stuff). I don't have to have someone else very often, just when I am out of town on business trips or to help if we get alot of snow (2" +).

15. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

hay Jay ...That Is so well said:drinkup:

16. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

wow, I know a few companies here pay $65 hour with own truck. I pay 35 and they use my equipment, sidewalk guys get from 10 to 15 an hour.

www.lawncaretalk.com

17. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

Sounds like the grass is greener on the other side. LOL. 35 dollars is great money to your drivers. Here in pa its about 22 per hour

18. dutchman

dutchman Senior Member

I was just wondering how many hours they work and how many driveways they do. And do the shovel to or do they have extra help for that.

19. nekos

nekos Senior Member

lol well put !

snow systems in chicago starts driver with their own truck at $65 + a $5 a year raise.

20. DJ Contracting

Snow Plowing Or Dr.

Sorry guys all they are doing is plowing snow they/we don't have a Doctorate degree. I know not everybody can plow snow some people just don't get the hang of it, however for the normal competent common sense guy it's easy, and again it all depends on your area I have guys calling me to drive both new and past drivers. In this area you can't make any good money paying drivers anymore than that with all the lowballers around here.