1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a decision

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bdemir, Jan 19, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir Member

well im finally buying the new truck and its probably going to be a gmc one ton stake truck but i want to know what would be the best engine and transmission combo and my other question is can i buy the dual wheels in the back instead of 4x4. Ive heard that people get by with these with a little weight in the back or do i just need to get a 4x4. Also what options would be recommended. Basically its my first time buying something like this and all the advice would be greatly appreciated.<p><br>I am open to comments an other makes and models .

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I think you are going to need 4X4, to plow snow. Only if you want to use 2wd get a heavy truck, maybe a Ford 550. If you get the 550 i would get the 7.3, with the auto trans, and the 5.13 rear end.<p>The other thing about 2wd is maybe for plowing all you need is 2wd in most spots. Only what happend when a major storm strikes and the roads have like 6 or 8 of snow on them, it happens all the time in maine. I bet if you have any hills to climb, 2wd will give you trouble fast, unless you want to plow the roads for free. <p>Also i think dual rear wheels are worse in the snow. Wider tire area, same drive train. I think i would want single rear wheels for 2wd in the snow. I could be wrong about this, so if i am someone please tell me.<p>Geoff<p>

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Get the 4x4 with dual wheels and the 12000 GVW option. Plow prep, limited slip differential, and the 3.73 gears if possible. The engine is up to you, I think that the 5.7 is fine for that truck, but the 6.5 diesel is an option, but that depends on your preference of diesels or not. Forget what you have heard about GM diesels they are very reliable, and the new ones will be fine. The heavy duty automatic is the best auto of the big three, and the 5 speed is good also.<br>If you are looking for a 2 wheel drive, get the HD3500. Higher gvw and solid front axel.<br>But for plowing get the 4 wheel drive option. I have it on mine and during a storm I will only use maybe 6 times, but when you need it you have it, plus the 4 low is great for tight spots. You can check out my truck at www.thehousedoktor.com follow the plowing link.Or e-mail me for more info on my truck<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Get at Ford 550 4x4. <p>I'd stay away from GM until they come out with their new model next year.

5. plowking35

from SE CT

This person may not have 40k+ to spend on a truck, if he prices k-3500 right, he will be out the door for about 30K and it will serve him well. A gas engine with the auto is the best gas engine tranny combo bar none. If he ops for the diesel he still has a good driveltrain. The 2000 6.5 has 215 hp and 450 ft lbs. Not the leader but competitive.I have 35k on my 98 and it is great. You get 12000 gvw, and just give a little twist to the torsion bars for the snowplow weight.<br>Right now k-3500 4x4 p/u with the gas, snow plow prep, and rear limited slip goes for 24,500. A cab chassis will run about 2k more and the body will run about 3 -4 k if you get a dump option. Keep in mind that GM usually has a commercial discount of about 1000$ that can be applied to the body or a plow. The 550,s are to expensive for my taste, andd maybe for his.<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I would not have a 2wd as my only unit. It will plow fine in 2wd if you chain it up for most conditions but its that extreme which could put you out of business if you dont have something else to fall back on.<p>Bill

7. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Plowking35<p>I was looking at Ford 550's yesterday. You'd be surprised at how competitive they are with the 1-Ton Chev for price. Ford in now offering $1,500 towards body/equipment.<p>I don't know the price on Chevy's (you obviously do) but for not much more money, you can get a lot more truck. The 550 has a 13,000 lb. rear axle!<p>I think Ford sees the writing on the wall. They make a great truck and they're trying to promote them heavily because GM is going to gulp Ford's market share when the 2001 Chev comes out.

8. lawnman

lawnman Junior Member

I have a 97 GMC 3500 with 4 wheel drive, 5.7 auto with a 9ft Western plow. Like everyone has mentioned, I would go with the 4 wheel drive to be safe. In April of 97 we had 30 inches of snow and I did not get stuck once with this truck and it has all the power to push the snow and pull a trailer.

9. plowking35

from SE CT

I agree that the 550 is one hell of a truck, and if you are going to buy an F series can chassis that is the one to get. I dont know if he needs that much truck, but if the price is close he should go for it. From what I have seen in my market is that the 650&750 are sometimes cheaper than the 550. Try Penn. for good deals, they seam to have great pricing on trucks.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

10. GeoffD

I own a 550, and its a great truck. Only i didn't buy it for is plowing ability. I bought it for it's towing ability. Its one of the few trucks that can tow a 12,000 lbs legaly. When ya got to move a compact exevator it's the right truck for the job. Now the F 650 cost less than the 550 4x4, but it is 2wd. I saw an f650 with the cat motor for 32,000 with out a body. I think an F 350 is a great truck for the price, and for years was the biggest 4x4 truck aviable. It wasn't untill late 1998 that the 450 and 550 were on the market.<p>Check out a F 350 4x4 cab and chassis 7.3 auto, with snowplow prep.<p>Geoff<br>Geoff

11. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

A 650 gas stick may be cheaper than a 550 4x4 diesel auto. Comparing similar features, the 650 lists at about 6g more.<p>Maybe they have promos now that change that.<p>We did order one new truck already today. We're in the market for another 550 type unit. Would you get a Ford this summer or wait and see what this new GM is all about?

12. GeoffD

I have had a ford all my life. I have a relative that is a ford power train engineer. I like the trucks, i like the way they are built. They do the jobs i need, they work when i need them too. They have the ground clearance i need, when doing utilty work. Basicly my trucks get the sh--t beaten out of them, off roading is part of their job. You can't tell a guy he has to carry 500 pounds of gear and tools 2 miles, because the truck doesn't have high enoug ground clearance. My 250 HDs go off road, with no lift kit, they go to work right off the show room. I trust the brand, i get good service from the dealer.<p>Why would i want anything else?<p>I won't get into the argument over if ford or chevy is better. I feel that ford chevy and dodge are all good trucks, and when they break it sucks to fix any of them.<p>Geoff

13. bdemir

bdemir Member

Wow this is great a great discussion. Well my old trcuk is working so i have some more bought time to think about this decision. Most you pepole sound like you know what you want and you go and get it and thats it. Well, Its going to be my first and im still a small guy. Im going to print out all the replys. Now that my old ford is working Im going to try to keep it running but if it breaks down again that might just be inspiration to march right back into the dealership. The topics about the 550s opens many more doors. Thank you for the support the feedback is greatly appreciated. <p>Bedros

14. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

I agree with Geoff on most of his points. I have been down the road of used, small trucks, then big ones, etc. If your 1 truck is your main money maker, then you need to get the best, most versatile one that you can. Don't skimp just to save money; maybe just cut back on the unnecessary options. We choose Fords for many of the same reason's Geoff does - off road ground clearance, power, and a good dealer. We also use our trucks hard right off the showroom floor for a variety of jobs. You should make a priority list of what you will use the truck for before you decide on one. We move a lot of mulch and plants with most trucks, so the 9'6&quot; stake body dumps are perfect (during the season all of our dump bodies actually dump at least 3-4 times per day). We have a couple of dually F-350s and they can hold plenty of weight/volume. We use the 4x4 as much or more during landscaping as we do during plowing, so that's an easy one. We opt for the diesels (for the reason's listed under the diesel vs. gas thread). I must admit that it really doesn't matter what brand you choose, the size and equipment options are the important part. If you need 4x4 and want to be able to fit in smaller places as well as wide open ones, go with a 1 ton (350 or 3500) - the 650s and larger trucks are nice, but we made it through the growing years with a 12' 4x4 rack dump F-350. If you choose a larger truck you might not fit into back yards, or be able to go off road into the woods, etc. You won't be able to plow too many driveways or drive throughs either.<br><p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

15. plowking35

from SE CT

This may be spliting hairs but follow me here.<br>I believe that until 1999 a Factory 4x4 cab chassis from dodge and ford had a GVW of 11,000, and Gm had from at least 95- present on 4x4 3500 cab chassis was 12000 gvw.<br>Now I dont understand this because from my standpoint(and I own one) the gm front axel design is not as strong as the solid axel found on dodge and ford. But when the 1999 SD line arrived it gained a huge leap over the competition.<br>In 2001 Gm will battle back with a Hd line of trucks. The diesel engine will be fantastic, and early testing has blown the doors off the powerstroke. 300= horse and over 500 ftlbs of torque. the big v8 offered also will be mor powerfull than the v 10 from ford.<br>How will it hold up, I dont know, but I do know that I never want to own the forst model year of a new design. Usually by the 3-4 th year all the kinks are worked out. i hear alot of 99 sd owners that have a lot of little problems.<br>the point is that all three make great trucks and as was said, when they break they all suck to work on.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

16. GeoffD

The last thing i can say is. If you owned a Ford before ya know how it has treated you. If you bought it new then you know how it has been treated it's whole life. If you bought it used then you really don't know. Anyways my point is think about how your old truck has treated you, and then decide if you want another ford. Just remember with any truck you will have the standard repairs, tires, breaks, regular maintmance, front end work. Ford have had their share of problems of the years and so has dodge and chevy. <p>Geoff

17. paddy

paddy Junior Member

ok, i have never plowed, but i have owned 2 trucks<br>My dream truck is a Dodge 2500/3500 (single wheel) diesel 4x4. I'd put a pre-oiler on it (i make a lot of short trips, and i'm paranoid about throwing another rod), extra filtration. performance enhancements. probably a 6 speed (I like driving stick, rather replace a clutch every 70k-150k, then a whole auto tranny) it would be vinyl interior Power windows/locks. I'd put a plow on the front, and probably a vee insert salter, or would a rear plow be better? does this sound like a good truck?