1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A decent shovel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Shady Brook, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

I wonder if anyone has found a decent qualty shovel for snow? I like the plastic due to their light weight, but inevitably they get destroyed pretty quick. Has anyone found a decent brand or type that lasts relatively long?
    Thanks
    Jay

2. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Go to Sears pay the $25 for fiberglass handle with aluminum business end. Make sure to get the ones with Craftsman name as they will replace them just like the hand tools.

3. sledhead

sledhead Member

Shovels

Also look for the ergo handles.
    Much easier on the back.

Sledhead

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've got a couple blue plastic shovels with white steel Z handles that I've used for 4 seasons. Easy on the back and move a good amount of snow.

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the Craftsman idea, that sounds pretty good. I did not realize they gave a lifetime warentee to those type of tools. I am kind of scared of the ergonomic shovels, maybe I think myself to clumsey, but to me they look kind of unweildy. If I give one a try, anybody have suggestions on where to get a good one? Pelican, could you describe the "z" handle. Where did you get it?

Thanks
    Jay

6. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I'd stick with the lightweight plastic one's, even if they don't last. I use a brand emsco (I think) Bigfoot snow pusher. It's plastic and doesn't last very long, but it is light weight, snow doesn't stick very easy, being all plastic there is a less chance of damaging things (storm doors, landscape lighting, etc.) They are so light you can launch snow in a rowing motion, like a high speed plow, and you can do it for long periods of time without tiring. They don't catch on concrete expansion cracks as easy. I go through about 4 cases of these shovels a season, but I like so many things about them, I can overlook the lack of durability. They are relatively inexpensive so I treat them as disposable shovels.

7. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

Just like FOZ stated, buy the Craftsman aluminum pusher shovel. They work great, I usually get a full season from one, and they replace them for free!!! I have been using them for (5) years now with no problems or questioned returns.....

8. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Shady Brok, the "z" handle shovels are the ergonomic ones.

9. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

we use the emsco brand as well hd shovel and the price is right

pretty sure they have a web site

10. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

just bought 4 last week at sears. steel reinforced fiberglass handle with thick plastic bases. the handle is flourescent orange, an added safty bonus. about $15.00 each, seem very durable. the reply about sears warranty is 100% correct. the shovel has the same warranty as all there tools.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If it is available at Sears I will buy it there. Digging shovels, flat shovels, snow shovels, rakes and any other landscaping tools. All are lifetime warranty and there is no questions asked. They just swap the part.

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Shady Brook:
    Dave's got it, Z handles are the ergos. They take a little adjusting to but are much easier on the back. My labels have long since disappeared, I think I bought them at a department store. I saw some similar ones at BJ's. It has a thick plastic scoop with a steel cutting edge. I imagine Sears would have a similar model too.

I also carry a flat blacktop shovel to dig the truck out. Doesn't happen very often but you knoe the Boy Scout motto...

13. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

There is a certain type by Ames that IMO is the best. I have tried expensive ones, cheap ones, but this $10 special available at landscaper supply, hardware stores etc has a nice balance and "feel" to it.

I also carry a steel grain shovel and long-handle spade for hand casting and digging myself out of predicaments.

14. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Man do I love sites like this, and appreciate you fellas for taking the time to respond. Great info! I hope you all have a very happy holiday, and safe plowing.

Jay

15. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

we just bought a dozen from a traveling salesmen they are made of the same material as dump bed liners and lifetime warrenty I took one and spanned two cinder blocks and stood on the blade and it did not flex and I weigh over 300 lbs if anyone wants I can get the number for the compant the shovels were about $30 a peice

16. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

I went with the Craftsman shovels! $14.99 lifetime, can't beat that with a stick. They seem pretty well built as well. I think an old coal shovel is the only thing that would hold up long term, but hey, free replacement, and light plastic is too good to pass up. Thanks again fellas for all your thoughts.
    Jay

17. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I prefer the aluminum / wood coal shovels you can get from Menards for $15.00 They are light weight, can handle wet snow, and are virtually indestructable.