1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A day in the life of a plowboy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jaclawn, Dec 19, 2000.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

What is your typical day like?

9 out of 10 for me are as follows: Get up at 2:00 a.m. look out window. Go back to bed. Get up at 4:00 a.m. look out window. Get on with rest of non snow activities after 4:00 a.m.

1 out of 10 is like this: Get up at 2:00 a.m. look out window. See snow. Hop into clothes, start truck, head out, plow and salt till about 10:00 a.m. Come back to shop, hose off truck, re-load with salt if more snow is expected, then head home. Stay up all day. Go to bet at 10:00 p.m. Get up at 2:00 a.m. hoping for snow.
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

A normal day for me is...

9-10pm: Go to bed.

2am: Wake up, see snow, swear a lot.

3am: Out plowing my accounts.

4:30am: Start plowing Motorwerks, swear a lot.

4:30am-Spring: Plow Motorwerks, swear a lot.

Spring-Fall: Sleep...

3. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Same here - 2 am, check.
    Three am, ask wife to check.
    four am - on the road with cereal in belly.
    eight am, breakky proper.
    9:30 complain about traffic
    11:00 complain about sore neck
    2 pm - eagerly listen to the new forecast.

Gotta love it.
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

For snow, I need to be out on the road by 3 am if I expect to have my big lot done before cars start filling the parking spaces :( If its just sanding I need to be on site by 5:30am. Then I start my residentials. Today I was finished with my 3 lots and 30 residentials by 11:30am thanx to my newly hired helper (see related thread-to-be) Usually for this type storm Id be out to 3 or so (2-3 inches).

Im usually up every hour or so if I know a storm is brewing, just kinda take catnaps until its time to roll. Must be the fear of oversleeping.