1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a couple sand/salt questions??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MSS Mow, Oct 16, 2008.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I am curious as to others opinions on running sand/salt mix in the poly electric spreaders? Do you have any problems? Pros? Cons?

Also, how much distance will a typical yard of sand/salt mix cover? Mileage wise?

Thanks

2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

tailgate spreader? or v box? will it have vibrator?

3. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Looking forward to some of the answers myself, we normally run gas (steel type)spreaders. this year we're outfitting two additional 6.5' ft beds with polys. I have asked some guys in the business, they say no problems thus far with electric other than occasional tunneling;i think that could be eliminated with a vibrator. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the cork screw thing, maybe I'm stuck in the times and perhaps I should give it a shot. I have been quoted cash & carry Fisher 1.5 yds $3,100.00,salt dogg 2.5 yd. $4,300.00, buyers $4,100.00. For us, its not really about price(although definitely helpful), its about service,productivity and potentially how many times we're going to need to load up again based on the hoppers capacity. I too would enjoy any input to what has been your success with spreaders and manufacturers as we are approaching purchasing time. Although we network with others as any business does;this site has been very helpful and I hope some of my replies have been useful; thank again

4. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

IMO if your going to run salt/sand mix you should use a steel gas powered v-box. I've seen too many guys shoveling their poly spreader out when they load it with wet material. The electric motors just can't pull the heavy wet material. I know there are guys on here that will tell you different, but from what I've seen if your using salt/sand go with gas. All my 2 yard sanders have 10" extensions for sides and it allows me to carry an extra 3/4 yard and the more I can load on the less trips I have to make.

5. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

purpleranger,
    thanks for your input,most of our material is covered and sometimes stored indoors (21'high ceilings) if you dont mind to reply, which one of your spreaders listed works best? as far as gas powered,were not opposed to gas powered,they have made us dollars and are reliable. What motors are you running briggs or honda's. we have briggs and have heard hondas are trouble.
    thanks again

6. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I have ran about every make sander out there at one time or another I think and about 4 years ago I purchased a Sno-Way since then i have purchased another and will continue to purchase Sno-Way. I love the fact that there is no hard wiring. Your controller simply plugs into the cigarette lighter for power. If I need to switch the sander from one truck to another, it's no big deal and can be done in less than 15 mins. All of my Sno-Ways have Briggs 10.5's on them. They seem to be the most reliable motor I've dealt with. Once we load the sander to go out and it's started prior to it's 1st lot we don't shut them down till we are done.

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Sorry 'bout that. I should have been more specific. I'm looking at v boxes and have no idea if I would put a vibrator on it. I guess that's what I'm looking for here with peoples opinions.

Thanks a bunch everyone for your responses so far.

8. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

thank you purpleranger519,

I appreciate your opinion.
    I will contact a snoway dealer as well, I think thats is a great option(one plug) on the swap out. hopefuly theres a dealer close by.

9. ALLABOUTSNOW

ALLABOUTSNOW Member

I would try to look at the Swensons V-Box... Honda powered and honda reliable. Parts are ready available and the price of a new is right where the others are .

10. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

If i buy a stainless salt dogg v box gas spreader will i b able to spread sand with it?

11. ALLABOUTSNOW

ALLABOUTSNOW Member

That I really can't answer, I have never used sand but I know a couple of landscapers that used sand/salt and the used the same equipment. I know the Swenson say it in the owners manual.

12. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

allaboutsnow,

at one of our local hotels was a snow expo; the swenson price I received was in the tune of:
    $4,500; not sure if that is comparable to the others; however, it was a nice design.