1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A couple questions for those experienced ones!

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by snowman4, Aug 21, 2009.

1. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

I am looking into getting a light bar for my 04 Sierra 1500. The place I deal with for most of my truck stuff sells SWS products. Have you ever heard of SWS and are they any good? There website is swscanada.com

Also I am looking at two different lightbars, both 16". One has the high intensity LEDs in it as well. It goes for about $650. The same lightbar without the high intensity goes for about half that price. What do you think about that pricing and what's your oppinion on the high-intensity - necessary or not?

2. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

3. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

that seems extremely expensive. I would think a few well placed leds would be just as good and a whole lot cheaper. I would stay away from rotators. They wear out and draw more amperage. here in the U.S. most police depts have left the rotators and went to LEDS for a reason.
  4. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

I'm no expert by any means, but I'm actually in the middle of building my own LED lightbar. Of the two lightbars you posted pictures of, the cheaper one is very similar to the one I am building. Check my post here and you can see that I used 5mm LED's on my first attempt which is what the lightbar you posted looks like (the one on the right).

The one on the left uses the same LED's but you can see additional larger and more powerful LED's on the bottom. My guess is that those larger LED's on the more expensive one are what they call "3rd Generation" LED's which are more than likely 1Watt each.

I also agree that those prices seem VERY high for what you are looking for. Do a google search on lightbars and you'll definately find much cheaper and good quality lightbars.

5. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

yea that price is really steep for lightbars with all 5mm leds. i mean a 16" whelen liberty 6 light. it only like 700. and will deffinently be brighter that the supposed high intensity bar your looking at.

plus the whelen bars are starting to go to the new rebel Leds so they are going to be even brighter than before.