1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A couple questions for the BOSS

Discussion in 'Boss Plow Forum' started by DaveK, Jan 8, 2002.

1. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Has BOSS ever considered offering "down pressure" on your plows?

What can we expect to see in the near future as far as new technology in snow plows?

Will adding wings to my plow void my warranty on any parts (moldboard, a-frame/mount, pump/hydraulic sytem)?

2. Boss Plows

Boss Plows Junior Member

down pressure

We have actually done quite a bit of testing through the years on down pressure. The concept isn’t new but comes up every so often. There are a couple of issues. If you use the plow system to apply down pressure, the weight(pressure)added to the plow comes from a transfer of weight from the front suspension of the vehicle. That will reduce the traction of the truck and prevent you from pushing much snow. The other issue is that down pressure is hard on the tripping action of the plow. You are more likely to damage your equipment with down pressure. If you have adequate weight in your plow system, down pressure should not be needed.

Adding wings will not void your warranty necessarily. If you bend up parts due to modifications, they may not be warranted. But in general, we don’t make an issue of it unless it is directly related to a failure. You do need to be aware of the reserve capacity of your vehicle’s front suspension. Make sure you do not overload your truck with added hardware.
    Hope this helps,
    The BOSS Snowplow

3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply in detail.

I did notice that you neglected to share top secret plans for the future. :) I was hoping I would catch you off guard and you would leak a bit of info. :D

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a few questions about my Boss plow,I bought it new in november,from Trailer King in Poughkeepsie,NY. While I do love it so far, have had a few small things happen to me that i feel you should know about.These were not related to me installing it,or the dealer i bought it from,IMO,they were all problems at the factory level.I bought mine,and installed it myself,the blade was bolted to the pallet when i picked it up.In all honesty,I didnt go over it in fine detail before i put the blade together,it was hard enough to move it around alone,without scratching it up.I laid it down on carboard like the instructions said,and put it together.Well after i flipped it up,I noticed the right 1/2 of the blade (9'2",steel V)had a weld defect,it was very visable,about 8" long at the bottom.I notified my dealer ASAP,and they gave me another blade the same day,I had to switch them,and i gave them the old one back,this wasnt a big deal,but it did cost me about 5 hrs of time,since my dealer is an hour away,2 round trips,4 hrs,and an hour to switch the 1/2 over.Ok ,now this past storm,was the 2nd time i used it,about an hour inmto the storm,I notice a big red paper in the snow pile, i just pushed,i got out,and it was my "THE BOSS" sticker,it peeled off clean,left no residie or anything on the blade,again,not a big deal,but now the 1 month old plow looks like a repainted older one.Ok,the storms is over,I flip the levers on the smart hitch to off,the drivers side one,made a pop,and flopped over,out fel 2 springs,and a 1/2 of a roll pin.I had to manually pull out the lever,now my dealer wants me to bring them the parts,so they can see them,I told them what i needed and told them to ship them,Im not driving there again..Now,Id like to know why the roll pin snapped,since it is only holdin 2 small springs on,it clearly is more than large enough for the job it does,there must be something wrong with the pin,or something else to make that pin snap off like that.If it snows before they send the parts,Ill rig the pin on with a bungee cord,to keep it on.I was a Fisher/Western buyer,user,this is my first Boss,so far I love the plows speed,and how easy it comes on and off,but im not impressed with the attention to detail,and quality control,at this point.

5. Jamie Slaughter

Jamie Slaughter Junior Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh quit your bitchin'

heheehe

6. John DiMartino

LOL,dont you have bumper to adjust?

7. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

John

My plow sticker did the same thing 2hrs. of plowing & there was the BOSS sticker in the snowbank. Got out too pick it up but I had run over it with the blade & cut it up. My only other complaint is the push frame bar is cutting into each other on the right side when angleing back & forth on the top. And the black paint is peeling off the lift cylinder. Other than that I love the BOSS, I always was Western or Meyer till this yr. :)

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Seems to me the sticker falling off is better then all the paint like the Western/Fishers did for years.

9. John DiMartino

I have a western that lost its paint,but the sticker is still there,LOL.I also had a Fisher that peeled paint off in hunks,I sold it last year.!/2 the Gm trucks i've owned lost there paint too,that is much worse than losing a sticker.

10. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I third the sticker problem. Mine fell off first time out.

11. Boss Plows

Boss Plows Junior Member

sounds like we have a sticker problem...
    The BOSS Snowplow

12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

sticker problem ?

BOSS PLOWS: any chance we can get new replacement stickers as we like to give free advertising for BOSS.:D

13. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

My BOSS sticker will most likely be off pretty quick here also. Whoever put it on isn't too good at getting the air bubbles out of them. It's wrinkled in spots also. I don't need a new one, I don't really care. Besides, if that's all we have to complain about, you're doing pretty good! Pushed two driveways this morning and that's it so far, not enough snow yet this year, talk about depressing. Oh well, I guess it will still be new for next year!

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That was kinda my point when I stated that. I would think a sticker falling off the front off the plow would not be bad. As much as I love my Fishers it amazed me how all the paint would peel off except where the splash sticker and others on the rear held the paint on. Reason why they get sandblasted and repainted after the first year.

If Boss has a better paint system the Douglas Dynamics then I would happily sacrifice the sticker.

15. Regaring the stickers. I noticed that the one on my steel V plow had apparently been put on while the steel was cold. Thus the adhesive didn't stick well to the paint. My dealer gave me a couple extras and I used a heat gun to warm the steel from the rear and applied the new decal. Its on there for good!

16. Duncan IN

Duncan IN Member

1 Hour into plowing and the Sticker fell off.

Rubber Horseshoe on the V doesn't like to take a beating. 2 hours and it is half gone.

17. ddm

ddm Member

I had the same sticker problem as everyone else on a new 9-2 poly V.
    Maybe lasted at best 2 hrs from new. Not Impressed!! Would be nice if Boss would send us all some replacements. And maybe a hat or something would make us all feel a little better about it!!

On a more serious side I also had the same problem on the hitch-- locking pins-- with the springs and roll pin coming apart. Mine happenen while plowing when all of a sudden I noticed the light tower on the one side dropping down when I raised the plow. :( After looking at it I found the locking pin retracted out with no pressure on it and the lever ( on- off ) below just flopping around. Got the pin back in and just put a zip tie around it to hold it in. I hope this holds up :confused:

Any way called the dealer and apparantly BOSS is having this happen quite a bit and are doing a re-call to change the parts to something else. Problem is he isn't getting the parts in very quick from BOSS factory. So as much as I don't like the zip strip idea, I hope it works!

Anyone else run into this out there? I almost wish the locking pins would go through the frame long enough that a hole could be drilled and a clip pin could snap on to lock it in place and not be able to come out even if there was a failure with the spring/rollpin that holds it in now.

18. Boss Plows

Boss Plows Junior Member

We do have a recall on the rolled pins. We have, and are still shipping replacement pins to our distribution at N/C as quickly as possible. Most dealers should have ample supply by now. If they don't, they will shortly.

As a side note, the Zip Tie works well. There are no major loads to make the 1" hook up pin come out. The Zip Ties will hold them in until your dealer can get you the pins. We do apologize for the inconvenience. The BOSS Snowplow