1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a couple q's

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rfed32, Aug 7, 2006.

1. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

ok first all....i run an s10 and i just picked up 3lots from landscaping and i need to know what spreader to get...some tailgate nothing to big but not to small so i can take it to a 1/2 or 3/4 ton next year...

how much to charge for salt??i havent given him that price yet but they told me it was mine on two of them the one doesnt get salted

50lb bags is what i will be using not sure where from yet but need just a little help...

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if you need a tailgate spreader. i might have one 4 sale. switching to v-box
    i live near phila.i charge 25cents per pound

john

3. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

yeah that would be cool if you could post some pics or pm me with a price or somehting that would be great

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Why not get a small v-box?

I run a 6ft stainless in my Toyota with some timbrens. I usually load it with a 1/2 yard as all my stuff is close and we use it mostly for driveways. If needed I could load it with a yard heaped though I would be overweigh.

5. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

what kind do you have. but then i have to buy bulk salt and find a place to keep it and find something to load it that would be a pain but i will look into what brand is it??

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have a snoway electric, but lots of companies make them. I run Salt and mix through it no problem. I also have a place to store it but there are places here that will load you during a storm.

They aren't as cheap, but a good investment. You can always move it to a fullsize down the road.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you plan on just salt and you want an inbed, think snowex veepro. Light weight, spread salt very well. You could consider loading it from bags.

For a tailgate I'd go with a hitch mount, available in sizes from 4 cubic ft to 10 cubic ft, excellent for doing bag material. The 6 CF size seems to be most popular. It's small enough for your S-10 to handle yet holds enough to do a reasonable area before refilling. I have lots of contractors using them for small lots and residential. Snoway's making a 4 cf that allows one man to install and remove from the truck easily, it's one piece with built in lids, a nice unit from a quality manufacturer.

8. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

How does the Snoway or Snowex Compare to the Western Pro Flo 2? I am looking at tailgate spreaders too, but nobody in my small town does any ice management, so I have nothing to compare to. I will just have some small commercial lots and driveways.

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Salting Q's answered

If your plan is to upgrade the truck but carry over the equipment than what I run would do you fine. It's a fisher model 1000 low-profile tailgate mounted salter. I can pack it full with (11) 50lb bags of salt, thats enough for a CVS size (medium) parking lot, and you can still see over it when backing-up. My suggestion is you get the screen to keep chunks out, and a vibrator kit in-case of wet salt bags or treated salt, and mount some lights on its framing to improve visibility. The down side is it takes two people to load and unload it from the truck.

How much to charge is up to you, just make sure to cover your costs, this includes repairs to your truck because salting beats the truck up (I had to replace my tranny lines because they had corroded through after 2 years of salting), the major increase in insurance because you'll want 1-2 mil in general liability for Slip-and-Fall lawsuits that may not even show up till a year or two later-this is why you must document everything. I salt everytime I plow (commercial) to keep my liability down, and it uses less salt if you plow first, so my plow price includes salting except I than charge for each bag of salt I use per push since the amount can vary according to conditions.

Now I only say this because you didn't mention it, but don't salt if you ain't got GL insurance.