1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A couple of quick questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by njsnowremoval, Feb 10, 2011.

1. njsnowremoval

njsnowremoval Senior Member

Ok guys i have a couple of small questions and please be gentle. (i know these have been covered and i have searched but im hoping to get some straight shooters here.

1. Whats the best undercoating and have you done it yourself or did you have a shop do it?
    2. Im now looking at trucks, my dad wants me to get a 150 because his friend loves his but im rational annd i realise that with a plow you really need a 250 minimum. My question is If i decide to sub contract will having a 150 be a issue?
    3. if i do get stuc with a 150 what suspention work will have to be done to accomadate a plow.
    4. if i was to get the ford warentee will having a plow on a 150 mess with my warentee?
    5. i ask that anyone with a 150 post pics of there trucks with the plow on to see and what work you have done.

Thanks in advance.
  2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Best undercoating is bar and chain oil mixed with clear coat. Heat it up and spray it on. Get inside the doors and tailgate so the bottoms don't rust out. Also the rockers.
  3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

buy a 250 or 350
  4. njsnowremoval

swiih i agree my truck that i want is a 250 extended cab 6 ft bed. and im thinking a snowdogg trip edge or wide out on the front.
  5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I agree with the 250-250 truck. I would recommend a straight blade with wings for your first plow.
    Get a plow with good dealer service.
  6. njsnowremoval

I really like the snowdoggs, have heard good things and theres a abundant of dealers around here. I do a fair amount oof camping so the smaller the mount under the truck the better. the snow dogg seems to have a nice tucked away mount. The westerns also have the guides that you take off and the mount is smaller but westerns seem to be BIG $$$. i agree straight blade is the best first plow as thats what i heard but i really like the features of the wide out with the exception of the trip. From what i understand the best trip option is trip edge?
  7. johnnysnok

johnnysnok Member

I have been plowing with an F-150 for 15 years without any upgrades or mods to my truck other than putting weight in the bed.

8. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

You can plow with an F-150, and there is no doubt that a 250 would be better, especially if your gonna subcontract. If you go with a 150 you will want to look into beefing up the front suspension with airbags, Timbrens, something along those lines. Also doublecheck the warrenty, most dealers will not install a plow on a 150 due to the front hubs won't hold up. And if you do install a plow, your trucks warrenty is automaticaly void.
  9. njsnowremoval

HUH i really want the 250 but 150 will probolly work as well. id Be adding tiberens, a 250 suspention, leveling kit, and maby airbags.
  10. johnnysnok

johnnysnok Member

Why do you think you need to beef up the front end with air bags or timbrens? It may help just a little but unless you have money to burn it i feel they are not needed. I have plowed with a 1989 f 150 for 7 years and this black 99 for 8 years. 24 of my own customers and 10 sub contracts. Dont get me wrong an F 250 with a plow is great and everytime i use my cousins i wish i had one. But if you are talking about a 150 which is out of warrenty you can hook up a plow and be on your way with no problems.
  11. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

I have always felt that it's better to over prepared than just prepared enough. That way you aren't pushing parts to their limits. An F150 can handle it but an F250 is BUILT to handle it.
  12. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

I use fluidfilm to undercoat my truck! Works great.. Been using it for two years now and im really impressed!! ..1/2 tons have there place, and it's not in the plowing buisness! Im not bashing on the 1/2 tons. Do yourself and your truck a favor and get the 3/4 ton. Solid axle, bigger springs, bigger trans, a LOT more weight behind the blade.
  13. njsnowremoval

how many timea a year do you apply ff? also has anyone seen rusting issues wile usig ff as undercoat?
  14. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

No, but if you get under there in the winter to spray off your undercarriage, the fluid film goes with it.

I would recommend a base coat of POR-15, followed by the oil/clearcoat mix as a previous poster suggested. Fluid Film is a great product, but it is better used as a temp solution for door seals, plow parts, etc, etc. If you buy a used truck, I would also pull off the bottom weather striping and see how much nasty you have built up under there. I personally do not run bottom weatherstriping because of the fact that salt and water collects in the rubber and rusts the bottoms of the doors out.

As for the truck, if you are going to plow and plow seriously, get a 250. It will handle anything you can throw at it and you can run larger blades than a 150. Additionally, you can not install a "F-250" suspension on a 150. They are completely different suspension types and have different dimensions and will not fit together.
  15. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

IF you want to plow more than a few driveways and be a sub I would go with a 3/4 or 1 ton. As said before they are designed with plowing in mind. I think they will handle it better. Just my .02.