1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A couple of questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dacecil, Nov 8, 2007.

1. dacecil

dacecil Junior Member

Hey all, I am new to this business. Just bought a rig and am anxious to get it out there.

I applied to Brickman and they sent me their packet. They asked me to submit a price list. What is the going rate in Colorado for plowing?

Secondly, is there a book or something out there that discusses proper technique for moving snow or do you just have to figure it out for yourself?

And, do you plow with the feet on or off the plow? What is the purpose of those? I see that they are adjustable with the washers/shims.

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

do a search for any information your looking for by hitting the search that is above on a tab. there is tons of great information on here its a encyclopedia of plowing.sounds like your REALLY starting from scratch so im sure you will have lots of questions and searching would be easier than posting each one. then if you cant find what your looking for post the question. type in shoes in the search and you will find everything you want to know about shoes from previous posts.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My advice would be not to sign on with Brickman or any other management company until you've got a year or two (at least) of experience. They have a million rules and will penalize for everything. Even guys who've been plowing for many years get ripped off. I personally know at least three guys who are owed tens of thousands of dollars. Go out and get a few driveways to begin with.

Basically, look the property over good before snow falls for the first time. Plan, Plan and Plan again for every contingency you can think of. Plan your pushes. Push well back to leave room for future pushes. Put stakes up to mark for obstacles and hazards and ditches and edges of driveway and lawn area. Do not push snow toward walls. Learn to backdrag (drive forward toward garage/house with the plow raised - drop plow within a few inches of wall/door. Pull snow back two pickup lengths. Turn around and push forward). You might want to take pictures of the property before being covered with snow.

Plow feet - much debate there whether to use them or not. Personally, I have never used them. They are to keep the plow from digging into a soft surface or scarring a finished surface. I just keep the plow raised a couple inches while plowing until the ground is frozen.

Good luck and ask away.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Maybe you could find a small local guy looking for some help. Sub yourself out for 40/50 bucks an hour plus fuel. Learn the ropes from an experienced plower.
    We all are glad to answer questions but nothing beats hands on experience and direction. Hard to ask for Internet advice when you're on the road.

"See" you again:waving: