1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A Couple of Questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by newlooklandscp, Sep 4, 2007.

1. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

1) What is your guys recommended size Vbox for a 2001 F350 8.5' Dump 4x4 (no added leaf springs or anything) with a 8.5' Western Pro on the Front of it?

2) Does anyone know where I can get the direct truck battery to vbox starter setup that western makes? It by-passes the whole having a battery thing on the vbox. I ran into the problem of it being so cold last year, we had to crank and crank the vbox to get it started and then the battery was dead by the end of it. Ive seen it around and I know western makes it I just cant seem to find someone who sells it or even online.

Thanks guys,
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a downeaster electric v-box, we have an old highway gaser thats nothing but headaches, also one new honda powered downeaster for our INT single axle, even with Honda eng it's more grief than it's worth. Electric is sweet, one harness, one switch, on and off it's that simple, no choke, no throttle no fuel to spill on yourself and have to smell for like a month. We have stainless units and they really require little maintenance. A couple of ours have 3 yrs on the original motor with 0 problems, A new electirc motor costs a couple hundred bucks, a new gasser costs a whole bunch more with all the solenoids and stuff to runn them. I think if it took an hour to change an electric motor it would be a long time, and you can get them anywhere, blow a gas engine during a storm and even if you can find one in stock (not likely) you'll be down for half a day replacing it, more if all you can find is a short block or one that'll work but isn't ready to go out of the box..........Of course if your truck has central hydraulics you have another option......whatever you do, put a piece of wood across the front of the bed, 2x6 or 6x6 to take up the space between the front of the bottm channel and the bed, if you ever have to panic stop it helps keep the spreader from shifting. Some will say the starps will keep it in place, don't believe it we had a guy miss rear ending someone without a turn signal on by a couple inches but he did leave a nice dent in the body, the salter was properly secured and full, also a piece of rubber under it will help keep it from shifting.......