1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A Couple of Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TyManley, Apr 5, 2005.

1. TyManley

TyManley Junior Member

Im planning in the next week or so to purchase a used truck. I would really like to get a F250 or 2500 but I found a great deal on a 2001 1500 w/ low miles. I was wondering if I could get away with putting a 7'6" plow on it, or any plow for that matter. It is a 1500 extended cab. Also, what would I need to do in order to prep the truck for the plow?

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

What type of plowing will you do with it. If it only like your drive way, I have seen many 1500's with plows on them. I am sure many people on here will tell you the same, they work well with a plow, but just don't expect them to hold up if you are doing commercial/heavy plowing. Most of the people here will also recommend you use timbrens if the from end sags to much.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  3. TyManley

TyManley Junior Member

Yea, I would be doing straight driveways and maybe a small lot here and there. Nothing major at all though. What would I need to install the plow, is there a kit I would need to put on the truck? One more thing, how big of a plow would I want to go on a 1500. I was thinking 7'6"?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  4. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

If its black - go with fisher or curtis 7.6
    If its red - go with western or boss 7.6
    Thats my opinion.

Jason

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

A lot is going to depend on which front end you have. Check the plate inside the door for the "FGAWR". If it's the lighter (3600 lbs), you want to stick witha a lighter plow, like a Fisher Homesteader. If it's the heavier (3925 lbs), you can go with the heavier 7.6'. I made some assumptions about engine, box style etc and put your truck through Fisher's site. If you want to do it yourself and maybe correct my assumptions: http://www.fisherplows.com/ematch.asp# and click on "ematch".

Really, you want to give some thought to getting the 2500. It's made more rugged for work like plowing. Put an 8' plow on it and go. If you decide to go with the 1500, put a transmission cooler on it and about 3-400 lbs of ballast in the bed. One question - Does this 1500 have 4wd? The site I put it through didn't give that as an option.

6. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Mick--Ole Jim here! I suggest an 8 footer--as the7.5s your allways running over & packing down the Snow that Dribbles out on both sides! of the Smaller Plows! on all pick ups--& just Don*t take a Big a Bite--a 1/2 a blade full on 3 to 6 inch storms & Less on Heavy Ones!--as I personally think? in plowing Snow--Cleaning UP is the Important Part!--& the Biggest Mistake Most Plowers make? IS! they HURRY to Much!--My Opiion!--I have been Plowing for many Yrs--for Pro Contractors & I have a Fool Proff System I have used over the Yrs!--its Inexpensive! & works GREAT-takes all the Guess work out of Plowing!--at least your Regular Customers!-Buy a Cheap Throw Away Camera! & GO take Photos of Your Plowing Customers Yards when their BARE! w/ NO SNOW!--& Stick the Photos in a Note Book--w/ Names & Addresses--& even in a Major Snow Storm! all You have to DO!--Is Open UP your Note BOOK! & look at the PHOTOS & You know Exactually where Every thing IS!--Works for ME!--Ole JIM--

7. Mick

from Maine

Jim, I'm not sure what you're recommending an 8'er for, but most 8' plows (ie: Fisher, Western, Boss etc) would be too heavy for a 1500. An 8' is recommended for a 2500/250.

This truck is an extended cab. So with the heavier weight, if it has the lighter front end, it is even further restricted in the load it will carry. Hence, the recommendation for the Homesteader (or Suburbanite which is the Western equivalent). You might compare weights, but there might be another model of 8' comparable to a 7.5' Fisher/Western. If you're considering a plow with a lexan moldboard, then you want to add in the weight of the entire plow and mount.

As you kind of pointed out, the problem is that with an extended cab, the truck will have a larger turning radius. This will result in there being more tendency for your rear wheels to drive over snow while turning. However, I'd rather do that than overload the front end with an 8' plow, which would lead to premature failure of front end components. You would also need more ballast in the rear end, overloading the truck even more.

You'd be better off just sticking with the recommended plow for the vehicle.

8. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I bought a 2000 1500 Silverado at the beginning of the past season and put a fisher 7'6" RD on it. I had no problems with plowing. I do need timbrens, and also to turn up the torsion bars on it, but other than that it handled the plow fine and also pushed with not problems.

~Steve

9. danno

danno Senior Member

Same here with a 1500. Mick is right about the axle. Being an extended cab, you lose turning diameter, and maybe the ability to put a regular duty plow on it. My Dodge works great with a 7.5.
    It all boils down to being careful. You can put a plow on any truck, but it can be damaged whether a 2500 or a 1500.

10. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

I*M not de-bateing Micks suggestion--as the differance in Width & Weight between a 7.5 & an 8 footer is so Slight its not even noticable--& where its an Extended Cab its not all that Great for Plowing any-way!--as Its Too LONG!--but--for plowing just His Own driveway?--it should Do OK!--but--I*LL bet He will Swear at IT?--even doing his Own!--I drove a Crew CAB for a local Contractor during ONE storm last Winter! & It Really SUCKED!--I never worked so Hard in My Life!--& never Again!--as it was far too LONG--for driveways--& You need a Foot Ball Field to turn it Around!--& Your Vision is Limited!--& Not what I*D consider for a Plowing Rig!--as SHORT is the Thing!--my Opinion--Ole JIM--

11. Mick

from Maine

Hi, Jim. Enjoyed talking to you yesterday and hated to quit, but I was right in the middle of moving my Mother-in-law into our little house (or cabin). I had just started to unwrap some plate glass cabinet doors with another guy and had to get back to them. Looking forward to you coming out for a visit.

Anyway, as to the weight difference of a 7.6' and 8' -- Fisher plows are:

Light Duty (LD) 7.5' - 487#
    Regular Duty (RD) 7.5' - 630#
    Heavy Duty (HD) 8' - 717#

12. TriCountySnow

TriCountySnow Member

1500 Humm.

To be Honest with you the 1500 would work just fine i a driveway, if you are planing on doing anything else other than drives i would consider at least a 2500 HD My company does a great deal of commerical work, and we have found that the 3/4 ton trucks are very good have enough power to handle most snow